Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

steinholder

Whirlpool Washer (LA5578XTW1) Direct Drive

7 posts in this topic

My washer won't spin but does drain.  There is a shredded plastic material on top of the gear casing.  The drive coupler looks OK.  I can turn the basket with assistance and the drive dog.

I am trying to locate the source of the debri without any luck.

post-18680-12904509723_thumb.jpg

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

My guess is it is the remnants of the old style motor coupler. It looks like it originated from the drive end of the gearcase. The original coupling was a white silicone type of material and the motor.gearcase ends were round with 3 pegs each. The new one looks like this. Is it possible the material is from one that shredded prior to the one you removed?

00326240.jpg

hmmm.  That could be a possibility, I may be seeing old evidence.  But, it does look freshly distributed.  And, I noticed that it was under the clutch, and the drive rod is pretty loose(1/16" movement).  As I turn the coupler, the gearbox appears to be OK, but still I wonder... 

Should there be "any" lateral play where the drive rod enters the gearbox? I am thinking my gearbox is toast, but I need to know for sure.  Thanks for your reply, I can post more pictures if that would be helpful.

From what you describe the movement of the agitator shaft is normal. When it is in the drive tube it is stable.

The only other thing I can think of is either something foreign to the machine got caught underneath or possible the brake relase cam. Can you post a shot of the coupler assembly and one from the bottom where the gearcase was removed? Are the shredded pieces hard plastic(like the shavings after cutting pvc) or a softer material?

As for testing the gearcase you can attatch the motor while it is removed, put your foot on the motor and run it in spin. To test the agitate cycle you will need to jump out the pressure switch

Here is the underside, the drive dog is fairly loose(wiggles) also.  Notice the debri is literally sticking the mount standouts.  The debri is powdered and soft, enough to stick to things.  My guess would be that it is brake liner material(?).  I am trying to decide weather to reassemble and test further, or tear it down further.

Thanks!

post-18680-129045097233_thumb.jpg

Here is the Drive Coupler, I replaced this assembly a while back.

post-18680-129045097236_thumb.jpg

It was the clutch.  I am currently looking for some misplaced parts that go into the agitator.   I am unsure why the Clutch pads were shredded so bad. I am guessing the machine was overloaded, I have teenage boys.