Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher Paykel - the repair guy broke it so now I need a new dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Elkern

Ken Elkern

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:14 PM

Hello Samurai et al,

Yes, I was foolish enough to purchase a Fisher Paykel (FP) DD602 dishdrawer system back in 2001.  Over the years it worked pretty well except for a few repairs many of which are outlined on this forum.  And those repairs were covered by a GE extended warranty we purchased at the point of sale.

However, recent events have turned the FP into a piece of junk.  When the F4 error popped up a few months back, I suspected the hoses were leaking.  So I called my trusted repair tech that did most of the previous repairs to come out and swap out the hoses.  He didn’t want to get that dirty so he sent his son Marcus.  Marcus has his own FP certified business, he doesn’t work for his dad.

Marcus came out and swapped out the hoses but in the process the top drawer stopped working.  It wouldn’t unseal the drawer when you pressed the Start button.  So he swapped the controller from the bottom drawer into the top and fried it.  So neither drawer worked then.  He put in a used controller into the top drawer and fried it too.  The bottom drawer worked with another used controller, so he left and we had 1 of 2 drawers working.  After looking at the top drawer a bit closer, he noticed the jet dry container was leaking jet dry onto the wires and was probably the cause of the fried controller.  However, the unit worked until he showed up.

On the second visit he replaced the soap/jet dry container and put two new controllers.  The top drawer worked great.  The bottom drawer started getting U3 errors (after he left of course).  So I called him up to see if he still had the used controller that worked on the bottom drawer and he said he didn’t and that he’d thrown it out.  So we still have 1 of 2 drawers working.

So he came out again and replaced the bottom controller.  After he left U3 appeared again (1 of 2 working).

On his last visit he put the controller from the bottom drawer into the top and voila U3 error.  So he went and got a new controller out of his truck and put it into the top drawer and the U3 error appeared again.  All this while he was on the phone with the tech support team from down under.  They were at a loss as to what to tell him to do next (except break open the beers).  He tested all the power readings with an amp meter and they were good.  So now we have 0 of 2 drawers working.

He left saying “it’s eating controllers and I’m not going to order anymore controllers.  Oh and if you call FP and tell them your story they will give you a discount on a new FP.”  So I have that going for me. 

So I start with a dishwasher that has a leak to needing to buy a new dishwasher, does this make any sense?  Oh and I tallied up how much we’ve spent over the years on repairs, $995.  Some came back in the form of a refund from GE, but that’s a ton of money.  So FP says I can buy a new DD603 from them for $362.00+installation ($150).  But after looking at the latest reviews online, no thank you, I’m going to head to Bosch land (where the beer is better) for the next one.

Final thought:  But I was sitting here tonight and I thought, “He needs to get two new controllers and make one of these drawers work.  He broke it, so he needs to fix it!”  We have 3 year old triplets running around and the last thing we need to do is wash dishes by hand. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated… enjoy the brew…

Cheers,
Ken

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:42 AM

[user=26899]Ken Elkern[/user] wrote:

However, recent events have turned the FP into a piece of junk. 

I take great exception to this statement; that machine could not possibly have turned into junk while installed at your house because it was junk the day it was made. :P

Marcus came out and swapped out the hoses but in the process the top drawer stopped working.  It wouldn’t unseal the drawer when you pressed the Start button.  So he swapped the controller from the bottom drawer into the top and fried it.  So neither drawer worked then.  He put in a used controller into the top drawer and fried it too.  The bottom drawer worked with another used controller, so he left and we had 1 of 2 drawers working.  After looking at the top drawer a bit closer, he noticed the jet dry container was leaking jet dry onto the wires and was probably the cause of the fried controller.  However, the unit worked until he showed up.

If he didn't unplug the dishwasher while swapping boards, then it's very possible, even likely, that he fried the boards in this act.

So he came out again and replaced the bottom controller.  After he left U3 appeared again (1 of 2 working).

On his last visit he put the controller from the bottom drawer into the top and voila U3 error.  So he went and got a new controller out of his truck and put it into the top drawer and the U3 error appeared again.  All this while he was on the phone with the tech support team from down under.  They were at a loss as to what to tell him to do next (except break open the beers).  He tested all the power readings with an amp meter and they were good.  So now we have 0 of 2 drawers working.

U3 is just a water pressure setting-- you don't need to change any hardware for that, just a setting in the control panel; it's explained in your user's manual.

So I start with a dishwasher that has a leak to needing to buy a new dishwasher, does this make any sense?  Oh and I tallied up how much we’ve spent over the years on repairs, $995.  Some came back in the form of a refund from GE, but that’s a ton of money.  So FP says I can buy a new DD603 from them for $362.00+installation ($150).  But after looking at the latest reviews online, no thank you, I’m going to head to Bosch land (where the beer is better) for the next one.  

The DD603s were a vast improvement over the 602s. And they're giving you a helluva good deal, that's gotta be around wholesale. They still have their problems but not nearly as many and they're much easier to fix than the 602s.

Final thought:  But I was sitting here tonight and I thought, “He needs to get two new controllers and make one of these drawers work.  He broke it, so he needs to fix it!”   

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. But the DD602 was genuinely a dog so it's hard to tell if these problems were technician-induced or if he just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

And don't buy a Bosch thinking you're going to dishwasher Nirvana. You'll have plenty of problems there, too. For more thoughts about the qulaity of dishwashers today, see this enlightening tome.

#3 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:28 AM

Take F&P up on their offer, you won't get a better d/w for that price anywhere. The current 603 is far superior to the earlier 603 which totally blew the 602 out of the water.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 Ken Elkern

Ken Elkern

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

Yes, I'm considering it.  Just wish I didn't have to pay the $150 install fee.  The tech that created some of the issues is coming back on Friday and will have access to a level 3 tech at FP for support through the debugging process. 

Thanks.

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:41 AM

Bosch's aren't much better and even worse to gain access to repair them.

Scott Wolf

#6 Ken Elkern

Ken Elkern

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Ok folks,

I negotiated with FP some more and they were willing to split the cost of the install.  So they dropped their offer to $287 for a new DD603SS.  I also called my repair tech who has been botching the job and asked him to split the install cost.  He said "yes".  So in the end the new dish drawer will be installed and cost me a grand total of $362. 

Thanks for all the feedback. 

Cheers,
Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics