Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Friedrich ES12L33 (a/c and heat) or comparable recommendations

Brooklyn Don

Thinking about replacing a through the wall a/c unit with a Friedrich ES12L33 combination a/c and heating unit.  Also have to change from 110 volt to 220 volt service.  This isn't their model that uses a heat pump and can't deliver heat if temp is below 40 degrees.  This model has an electric heater (???) inside that will work in the cold NY winters to add supplemental heat.

Does anyone have experience with this unit and could comment on its reliability?  Perhaps you could recommend something else?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friedrich is a good brand....the heat stips are a good system, however realize the heat output on any window unit will not be near the btu's as the cooling, and this looks like a 12,000 btu unit by the model number...so imagine the heat may be around what 9,000 btu's?  This is only going to heat one small room, remember these are "room" units, and they will not heat other areas....so this would work fine for a small room.  Also look at the wattage rating for the heat as running these heat units can get really expensive...sort of like running your electric dryer for hours at a time...but again this will depend on the wattage of the heating coil...

Thanks for the response Pegi. 

This model specs at  10,700/8,900 BTU Heating rating , 16.0/14.7 Heating Amps, 3,500/2,900 Heating Watts.  The cooling specs are 12,100/11,900 BTU cooling, 4.8/5.0 Cooling Amps and 1,052/1,017 Cooling Watts.

Does this mean that the a/c is pretty efficient but the heating mode will cost a fortune??

This unit is going in a 12' x 22' bedroom with 14' cathedral ceiling.  The exisitng steam baseboard heat is insufficient to maintain comfort in the winter. Thought this might help in picking up the slack.

Thanks,

Don

Might help some, that will not be a lot of heat with that small of a unit, we can hope you have a celiing fan you reverse in the winter to bring the heat down from the ceiling in the winter?  That sure would help out....wondering if the electric oil filled portable floor heaters would be just as good an option with lots less cost?  Check the wattage on some of those also, I have one for my bathroom and they work very well..and this would keep you from having to run that 240 volt outlet for the window unit also...

Thanks again Pegi,

I do have a ceiling fan that can reverse in the winter.  You're assessment is making me rethink this whole idea.  I have been using an old reliable DeLonghi oil filled radiator style space heater to help in the winter but thought this might be a better (albeit expensive) solution.

Thanks,

Don

that through the wall 12,000 btu  is pretty good unit for a motel room.

electric heat works real well in a room like that.

the power bill would be enormous though, to keep a private residence warm

it might be a tad expensive.

post-4554-129045097266_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for your advice.  My wife, who is always right, had a simple solution-electric blanket.  I told her I thought it was my job to keep her warm.:D

LOL....might look at the electric "bed warmers"..I use these as they go over the mattress and warms the mattress very nicely and since heat rises.....no more cold bed to get into...adjustable heat levels too...;)....it hurts sooo bad to climb into a cold bed in the winter, with the bed warmer no more cold sheets...nice...

Archived