Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana dryer; super noisy after problems with lint trap/clothing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WannaFixIt!

WannaFixIt!

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:25 PM

This is concerning an Amana front loading dryer, model #DLE330RAW, purchased in 2001, so it is just over 4 years old.

Tonight my son cleaned the lint trap on our dryer and restarted it. When I went out there a few minutes later, I noticed it wasn't on and attempted to restart it. It made a humming noise, so I opened the door and couldn't find the trap. My son located it inside the dryer, and a strap from one of my shirts had caught the corner of the trap and apparently pulled it out. I don't know what happened after that.

I have disassembled it part way, and can manually turn the drum. There is a fully intact belt at the rear of the drum, so I am really confounded. However, I got to wondering how many belts it is supposed to have, because there is an area at the front of the drum that looks like a belt has been rubbing there, but there is no belt. How many belts is a drum supposed to have? Could it be something else?

When I did succesfully get it to run, there was a rumbling/thumping racket and it wouldn't go for very long. If not a second belt, what are the other possibilities?

Thank you!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:36 PM

Maybe you have something in your blower wheel.

#3 WannaFixIt!

WannaFixIt!

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:42 PM

Okay, how would I know that? Is that a remove the rear panel thing?

Thank you so much for replying!

#4 WannaFixIt!

WannaFixIt!

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:00 AM

An update~

After reading your reply, I went back to poking around the dryer, and decided to remove the lower front "toe kick" panel. I saw a white thing that had a label on it talking about the blower, so I got to removing that. I cleaned a TON of lint (it sees heavy use with 3 boys in the house!) out of the white part and the bottom/base of the dryer. Then I took a look at the fan looking thing that had been covered by the white deal, and saw something large in there. At first I was tentatively touching it, as I thought perhaps it was some type of insulation material. Then I discovered it didn't go all the way around, so I just pulled it out. Guess what it was? A POTHOLDER! It had been in the load I was drying, and I guess when the lint trap got pulled out, it must've been sucked down in there.

Thank you SO MUCH for your suggestion. I had no idea what I was looking for in regards to the blower, but after reading what you said and then seeing that label, I figured I had to be on the right track to at least check it out. I impressed myself and my husband! :D

Thank you again!!

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:05 AM

These are notorious for things getting down in there (socks usually), the blower wheel area is the first port of call if it jams up.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 WannaFixIt!

WannaFixIt!

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

I didn't know anything about a blower wheel, and would never have taken the lower thing apart without help from those here!

Now I will know if something should happen in the future :) Although honestly I'd rather it run perfectly until we get a new one!;)

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics