Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
mkropp

Dishwasher Installation

5 posts in this topic

We are redoing our kitchen and want to move the dishwasher farther away from the sink than the drain hose will reach.  We can install a new drain just for the dishwasher but I don't know if there are any problems with doing this.  Can this be done?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=205]mkropp[/user] wrote:

We can install a new drain just for the dishwasher but I don't know if there are any problems with doing this. Can this be done?

No problem doing it, I see it all the time up here. Most local plumbing codes require an air gap but if it's your own house you can do whatever you want.

OK, thanks.   Do I just run the drain line into a separate trap with the sink end capped off? 

Into its own trap, yes. Usually this ties into the sink main drain. Not sure what you mean by capping off the sink end.

Just use rigid enough drain hose so it doesn't kink when you put the hose up and back down again to create the anti siphon "air gap"

If it kinks it won't drain out.

O K ?