Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Timer(?) Knob

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tobisan

Tobisan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:12 AM

Hey.  The timer(?) knob (the one you push in and turn to set the wash cycle) will not push in anymore.  I can't turn it to select a new wash cycle.

I'm thinking/hoping this should be an easy fix.  I know you can help me, out there!!

Thanks.  Looking forward to your quick response.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,696 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:19 AM

Hey.  Looking forward to your model number, as requested in the Welcome Message (that no one reads).

#3 Tobisan

Tobisan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

Oops.

Kemore top-loading model #110.82984820.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:44 AM

See if the knob is broken or split?  You cannot push or pull the timer shaft??  If you unplug the washer can you turn the timer by using the pointer dial behind the knob?  Do knot know if you have a knob or timer shaft/cam problem at this point.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Tobisan

Tobisan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:11 AM

I can push/pull the knob past a "click."  It used to be that when I pushed the knob in (past the click), turning the knob would turn the entire mechanism, including the pointer, so that I could set it to the appropriate wash cycle.

Now, whether the knob is pushed in or pulled out, the knob just spins around.  I can give the knob a flick on the edge and it zips around and around.

Nothing appears to be broken or split on any of the parts of the knob and shaft that can be seen, the entire mechanism still being together on the washer.

If I hold my thumbnail against the pointer, I can manually rotate that part, set it to the appropriate cycle, pull out the knob, and the wash cycle begins.

Does that help?

Thanks.

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:18 AM

Sort of sounds like the timer has broken internally, the shaft has come loose from the cam, If the timer knob itself is not broken/stripped.  See if you can push the timer shaft in, hold the pointer and unscrew the knob by turning it to the left to see if the threads are stripped, but I suspect it is not the knob, but the timer. Would have to replactethe whole timer or just turn the pointer and use it that way.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 Tobisan

Tobisan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

As far as I can tell, I can't unscrew the knob.  Nothing else on the whole unit moves with the knob whether or not it's pushed in.

So... I need to replace the whole timer?

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

Would look like your timer is broken internally, the shaft has broken off from the timer cam.. However you have to remove the knob to replace the timer...This sounds like one of those catch 22 suitations....:?

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,696 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:21 PM

You need a new timer:

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=1103

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:30 AM

I wouldn't be so fast to condemn the timer until you can get the timer knob off.

If the timer knob is the orginal one it probably is made out of all plastic and eventually the shaft screws to far up into the knob so that the knob can't be pushed in all the way where the shaft will lock and you can unscrew the knob.

The new knobs have a metal inner core so they don't have this problem.

Here's the knob: CLICK HERE

If you can't do anything to stop the inner timer shaft from turning so that you can remove the knob then it might be best to carefully break the old knob off into pieces then see if the timer shaft will click into the on/off position correctly.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics