Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Sucks!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

[user=22364]growinupinfl[/user] wrote:

... we decided to get the 4.3 Cubic foot Samsung... 

if you can get service manuals / service people / parts, now, and in the future ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Good luck on your Korean made Samsung purchase. Very few technicians will touch your product. You could have at least bought a Whirlpool Duet front load washer and kept the profits in the USA.
Scott Wolf

#43 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

<<<With the help of this website we decided to get the 4.3 Cubic foot Samsung.>>>

Very good choice.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#44 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

Not in my opinion it's not.
Scott Wolf

#45 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Good...um...luck.

The reasons that both Whirlpool and Maytag severed their relationships with Samsung were:

a) lack of quality, and
B) lack of reliable replacement parts

:shock:
"If you want your tree to produce plenty o' fruit, you've got to cut it back from time to time. Same thing with your neural cells. Some people might call it brain damage. I call it prunin'".

#46 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks Robin, I'm glad U and I agree.
Scott Wolf

#47 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

[user=34529]Robin the Hood[/user] wrote:

Good...um...luck.

The reasons that both Whirlpool and Maytag severed their relationships with Samsung were:

a) lack of quality, and

This is an anecdotal observation,correct?

I've never shared a six pack of Old Milwaukee with Jeff Fettig Or Ralph Hake---but--- on occassion I may read an article or two in the Wall Street Journal or similar publication.

When Whirlpool acquired Maytag---the big question was, WHY?

Usually when a company makes an acquisition---it is done to *expand* their market offerings. For example, if a pharmaceutical company that manufactures chemical-based medicines buys another drug company which makes organic-based medicines...this is obviously a business decision to capitalize on the assumption that the organic-derived medicines is the next big thing. Logical.

When Whirlpool bought Maytag---there was no logical reason for this. Maytag & Whirlpool's product line-up was nearly identical. Duplication galore.

1) Entry-level / builder-model appliances (check)

2) Mid-range appliances (both got 'em)

3) Premium / upper priced appliances (identical again)

Then I saw the article...

Originally---an investment group (Ripplewood Holdings) put in a bid for failing / bankrupt Maytag.

Then the Chinese (Haier) upped the ante and outbid Ripplewood.

One can imagine the panic in the boardroom at Whirlpool.

If Haier successfully acquired Maytag---which is a competitor to Whirlpool with a near mirror-image product porfolio---the big fright was that Haier might move all manufacturing to China (low labor costs). This would allow Haier-owned-Maytag to competitively beat (price) Whirlpool in every product category and wrest market-share from Whirlpool. Scary indeed for Whp shareholders.

It was a business decision for Whirlpool to buy Maytag and protect their market share.

This is where "Robin the Hood's" comment doesn't fit...

a) lack of quality, and

When Maytag introduced their *Neptune* front load washer in 1996---the great hope was that this would save an already ailing Maytag Corp.

When problems began mounting (motors & controllers and main board / wax motors) Maytag struggled to overcome. The company was losing cash & stock value faster than expected. Ralph Hake had all of his fingers in the dike trying to stop the leak but it wasn't working.

Maytag even tried to jump-start things again by introducing the failed Neptune TL, which further eroded Maytag's market-share & reputation.

In 2004---Maytag made an agreement to scrap their Neptune front loader and use the re-badged Samsung front load washer instead. Maytag was broke and had no other option.

After Whirlpool acquired Maytag in 2006---there was no need to continue this arrangement. Whirlpool decided to use THEIR washer---the Duet.

Thus---we have the *Maytag Epic*.

A logical business decision that has absolutely nothing---zip---to do with "lack of quality or parts".

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#48 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

I never will understand the Neptune thing, I thought they were pretty good machines - I also don't mind servicing them even now if opportunity arises - I bought one new in 1999 and used it for over 10 years with absolute zero problems. Obviously me being who I am kept the machine current with little tweaks, but had no problems that became the demise of the design.
To this day, I fail to see how they are any different than the machines we are servicing today in terms of Door Boot failure or Expensive Electronic controls - these traits seem common with all front load designs and are really due to user behaviors regarding water Temp, Additive use and common sense maintainence.
How come other manufacturers are not involved in Class Actions for these same reasons ?
And how 'bout some of those brilliant design decisions like sealing a drain pump cleanout deep in the belly of a stacked laundry pair placed in a closet or alcove - a simple, probable task becomes a half day job with a couple of people and a monkey to re-install the units; to throw salt in the wound, they actually make the front panel look exactly like units they made in the past that had a simple lower access panel - the job could be performed in maybe 30 minutes.
The manufacturers should be forced to reduce the scrapping of their products within a certain length of time by making them feesibly repairable.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#49 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

<<<I thought they were pretty good machines >>>

The design was very good. Simple.

The problems were electrical---but even that wasn't really a big deal.

The "big deal" was that Maytag was cash-strapped and unable to resolve the problems---then came the lawsuits.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#50 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

Maytag also tarnished their reputation for dependability by buying Norge, Admiral, Magic Chef, Amana, Dixie-Narco, Hoover, Blodgett, and Primus.

There was absolutely no need to have 3 different platforms of top load washers.  Even worse was the decision to take the Norge and Amana washer and rebadge it as a Maytag.

We all know Maytag ruined the Amana top loader by changing the outer tub from porcelain on steel to plastic, changing the tub bearing and seal and changing the thickness of the milkstool and the base. They ruined the machine so bad, they phased it out even before Whirlpool bought them out.

Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics