Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

HB Smith (propane) Boiler model# PGV 100 - W - 7 HSI

Chris-man

Dear Appliance Gurus,   I am the proud new owner and occupant of a duplex that has 2 hot-water-baseboard propane boilers. I am hoping to find assistance with getting these things working effeciently before Vermont Winter sets in. While crawling around in the dank house underbelly I first found the HB Smith (see model # above) backflow preventer leaking.  I removed and cleaned the old one and the leak continued so I bought a new valve ($49.50)and installed to find the leak continues as before. Which has lead me to the question of 1) sediment making both valves not work and 2) the zone pressure of 35+ PSI being too high or being out of correspondence with the domestic water pressure.  Any of this making sense?  I also have questions about antifreeze, purging, and more so please comment. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks! 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be some sort of automatic water pressure regulating device. It is no longer functioning but allowing full domestic pressure into the system. I normally expect about 14 psi at normal temps (pressure will increase with temp). If a brand new backflow is leaking you have excessive pressure. Can you post a pic of the incoming and outgoing water lines? Every system is different.

Dear AccApp,  While flushing the boiler-side pipe I effectively lowered the excess pressure to about 25 pounds. At this pressure, you are right, the backflow preventer slowed to a drip. But as luck would have it, I created a leaky "reducing valve" which I now must replace. FW Webb gave me the reducing-valve name for the pressure control device you mentioned. I think It'll work properly when I get the reducing valve installed.  I'll update you but must plan a trip to glorious Springfield, VT to FW WEBB first.  Lastly, do you know how to add antifreeze to the zone plumbing?  Also, how do I test for the concentration of anti freeze?    Thanks.

Sorry, I am not facile with getting pictures--yet          domo

The anti-freeze used in a boiler system is not the same as that used in your car but you can use a similar glycol tester with a sample from your boiler. The anti-freeze is Propylene Glycol with trade names such as Pro-Tek , Noburst or Burst-Kontr'l.

Adding it depends on current freeze protection levels. Typically if the system already has glycol and the freeze level is ok, using a 50/50 mix you will have to pump it into the system using an external pump. Of course using a higher concentration if the current freeze level is insufficient.

As for the pressure issue AccApp stated it is normally around 12-16psi. To determine if it is a bad fill valve turn of the domestic water supply inlet, drop the pressure down to 12. Turn on the domestic water supply and if the pressure climbs back up to 30 replace the fill valve. 

If it holds steady check the expansion tank by turning off the domestic water inlet, drop pressure to 12 & fire the boiler up to operating temp. If the pressure jumps up to 30psi & starts relieving then you have an expansion tank problem.

Archived