Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool LTE6234AW1 smoked and now won't agitate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 User ID

User ID

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I have a Whirlpool Thin Twin model # LTE6234AW1

I started our washer the other day and apparently my wife decided I had it on the wrong setting and spun the dial all the way around a couple of times to the right setting while it was running. (I'm not sure if that caused the problem but I figured I would mention it just in case. Just don't mention to her that I mentioned it. ;)

Abut 10 minutes later we smelled some smoke and a high pitched whine coming from the washing machine,. I shut it down and we let the smoke clear for a few hours. I then ran the washer on the spin cycle to drain the water. The washer spun fine and drained out. The next day I ran the washer empty to see if there was a miracle and the machine fixed itself for me. It filled up and then I just got a high pitched whine and no agitation. I ran it on spin again to clear the water, and I noticed a little more smoke but that could have been from the earlier attempt at the wash cycle, luckily I was able to get the water drained.

I took off the motor and I think I found the source of the smoke. The motor coupler had stretched out holes and there was little pieces of black rubber all around it. I replaced that hoping it would solve the problem. No luck of course. While I had the motor out I checked it. It seems fine, the shaft isn't loose and it spins freely. Also while I had it off I spun the coupler on the transmission and it spun freely.
The local parts store suggested I check the dog ears, which I did and there in good condition so I don't think that's the problem. I'm thinking it's something in the transmission that's stuck and preventing the agitator gear or whatever it is from moving, and that's what caused the burning of the coupler. That's just my guess though. I have no idea what's inside that transmission thing.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?
Also if it is the transmission how do I replace it. I removed the bolts from the bottom of it but it's still attached somehow on the center column, I think.
Also does anyone know how to remove the front and/or side panels from the thing, I've been working on it from below with it leaned up on the side and it's killing me.

Thanks
-Ian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,202 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:57 PM

You're gonna need to tear it down and get some eyeballs on the drive components, pay particular attention to the drive coupler. This service manual will show you everything you need.

#3 User ID

User ID

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

First off I must say I like the new site design.

Secondly, Thanks for the service manual I finally managed to get the damn front panel off.

I tore apart the thing, as much as I could. The motor coupler looks fine and everything spins freely back and forth. I can't get the transmission out, so I can't figure out how to check that out. Looking at the potential $200 for parts that may or may not fix my problem I think I'm off to the appliance store to buy a whirlpool duet unless anyone has any other ideas of things to check.

Thanks, Ian

#4 raycon57

raycon57

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

Its sounds like when your wife spun the timer around it may have caused a couple of contact points to arc together in the timer. This could have caused your problem to happen. Pull the timer out of washer; pull back the flexible shield on side of timer where harness plugs into it. You will see all the contact points. Turn timer around with dial and knob back on it. Check to see if any of them are stuck together. I have token a small flat head screw driver and separated each contact. You might see some burnt. I hope this might help you.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,202 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the new header block at my blog! I worked hard on that to try and open the content up to people who've never been to the site before.

Here's a post on diagnosing transmission problems on the Whirlpool direct drive washer that should help you make some more headway in figuring out what's wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics