Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Amana washer leaks at tub

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_marshall5758_*

Lurker_marshall5758_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

i have a 9 year old Amana top loading washer (mod # LW8303W2) that has developed a leak when the shaft meets the tub. i have disassembled the washer as far as i can. i removed the whole tub assembly. i cannot figure out how to remove the agitator and get to the tub seal and bearing assemble. the bearing appears to be good. i would like to know your opinion on weather this type of repair would be practicle for me to attempt. are special tools required for this type of repair? the washer is no good to me like it is. should i just write it off and go shopping for a new one?? any comments would be appreciated. here is a link to photos of the unit.

click here

Note from Samurai: edited URL link for beauty

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:00 PM

The agitator may have a 1/4" screw at the base of it. Look around carefully.

No offense, but if you're having trouble getting the agitator out, this does not bode well for the rest of the repair. This is probably one of the most difficult repairs out there. Some additional insight on it here.

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:38 AM

No screws holding this agitator on. It uses an air bell similar to G.E.s

You should have removed the agitator first before tearing the machine down. You whoud have had more leverage and the machine would hold itself down when strugling to remove the agitator.

Loop a rope under two sides of the agitator and up over a 2x4 to use for leverage to pop the agitator out.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Buget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

P.S. Nice Vette!!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 GuidofromCT

GuidofromCT

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

[user=0]marshall5758[/user] wrote:

. i cannot figure out how to remove the agitator and get to the tub seal and bearing assemble. the bearing appears to be good. i would like to know your opinion on weather this type of repair would be practicle for me to attempt. are special tools required for this type of repair?

You did pick probably the most tedious of washers to do a bearing/seal repair on. Not what I would have wanted to start my career with.(probably would have ended up a plumber or something:D). Yes special tools are required. If you havent done it yet its probably time to send the unit to the scrap heap!

yo, just do what ya gotta do!

#5 Lurker_TheToolMan_*

Lurker_TheToolMan_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:09 AM

Did you have any success with the Amana? It looks like I am facing the same problem. The leak from my washer is coming from the bottom of the tub. Since my projects typically go the way of Tim Taylor on Home Improvement, I am already looking at consumer reports for a new washer. If I could find someone who had some success with this repair project, I might be willing to give it a shot.

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:30 AM

Welcome to HELL :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Probably the worst repair known to man. I remember spending 2 hours one morning with my dear departed friend Wally :( beating hell out of one of these in an attempt to separate tranny and tub. We ended up ordering a new tub.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:44 AM

worst part is,after all the swearing,smoke,bloody knuckles and sweat,you've still just got a piece of junk that is noisy and leaves you scratching your head figuring just exactly HOW it actually works. how can a 2 1/2 inch long spring be a clutch???  have done more of these hub/bearing repairs than i care to admit to,and rarely felt good about the repair upon it's completion.  not to mention the expense of the repair!!
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics