Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirpool dishwasher noise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GarretV

GarretV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:56 AM

Whirlpool Dishwasher   Model# GU1200XTKB0   Year: 2002

When I start the washing cycle the unit seems to fill with water normally. But when the next stage begins it sounds like someone has turned on a wood chipper in my kitchen! I'm assuming its in the pump or motor. I'm not sure if the water is spraying inside the unit as the noise it is making is too loud to hear the water.

Where should I start?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:51 AM

You probably got a piece of glass or plastic stuck down in the impeller.  Take off the spray arm and work your way down to the impeller so you can clear the object.

#3 GarretV

GarretV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

Ok, I'm probably going about this the hard way but, I've taken the dishwasher out and apart.

I now have the whole pump/motor assembly on the kitchen counter. I have the motor loose but can't seem to get it free from the housing. The impeller area has a plastic cover that seems to have only one screw attaching it. I've got the screw off but can't get the cover off. I'll attach a picture. What's holding this cover in place? (see the lower right quadrant of the housing.)

Thanks

Attached Files

#4 GarretV

GarretV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:30 AM

Spoke too soon. I've got the cover off and the motor out. Ok, I did find some glass in the impeller area! I don't see anything else visually that could be wrong, so I guess I'll put this thing back together and see how it goes...

#5 GarretV

GarretV

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:55 AM

The impeller and the chopper are connected with a notched/spring loaded connection. Because of the glass jammed in the chopper, the notches have been worn away. It looks like I need to replace both the impeller and the chopper. How do I get the impeller off the motor? Is it a press fit on the shaft?

Thanks.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:42 AM

Ah, grasshopper, you have done well and your initiative has earned my special attention.  Enter the joy of thy master.

Your photo reveals much about your dishwasher-- I wish more folks would take advantage of the attachment feature. 

Yes, the cover to the mascerator can be stubborn, but you persevered and prevailed.  Nicely done.  Here's what I would do at this point: 

These motors are bad for burning out at the first sign of trouble.  So, there's a 50-50 chance that the motor is either dead or will die soon.  The entire motor/pump assembly in your dishwasher has a 5 year warranty.  Whirlpool is a company who is easy to deal with on these matters.  Ass-u-me-ing that your d/w is less than 5 years old, call Whirlpool and have them send you a replacement pump/motor assembly (that's essentially the entire thing shown in your photo, plus the pump and motor, not shown). 

If your d/w is older than 5 years old, let me know and we'll talk more about the ancient art of Fixite Do

#7 kenadavison

kenadavison

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

Please see my post on this pump/impeller/chopper issue. Sears won't replace the motor after 2 years. http://applianceguru...orum1/2194.html

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

Sears won't but if the dishwasher is branded Whirlpool (the actual manufacturer of this dishwasher) or Kitchenaid, it's warrantied for 5 years. And they send the motor/pump assembly right out, no hassles, no fuss.

What you're dealing with is the way Sears has chosen to handle the warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics