Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Broken Dishwasher full of dishes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sjhoffman

sjhoffman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

I have a big problem.  I have read over 100 different posts that are similar to mine but I still think that mine is unique.  My dishwasher thinks it's working but it's not.  When you start any of the normal wash cycles it says that it's sensing the load and it begins to fill.  When it says that it is going to start washing, instead it drains and then continues through a normal wash cycle.  Its pausing the whole time (to heat the water thats not in there) then it flips the soap door on que and soon enough says that it's finished.  When the washer first says that it's beginning to wash is when the motor usually engages it's not anymore( that's when it drains the water)  Also it doesn't seem that its filling to the correct height.  I've checked the float and it seems to be operating clean and free.  So... is it the switch, the valve or the motor?  I've also reset the breaker box on 2 seperate occasions.  Thankyou for any info at all this is all new to me.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:47 PM

I would check your drain connection, sounds like you are loosing the water charge. Try installing a "siphon break" to your drain hose, make shure you mount it according to the instructions.

Other than that, we need more info

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 sjhoffman

sjhoffman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:28 AM

sorry it took so long to get back to you....Iwas out of town.  I don't understand how it could need a siphon break when it was working fine one day, and then broke the next...??????

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

What's the brand and model number?

#5 sjhoffman

sjhoffman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

I'm so sorry I thought it was in my post,  it's a Kenmore 665.16872000

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:02 AM

Are you positive that you're actually getting water in the basin?  Eyeballs-on-it positive?

If so, then check your dishwasher drain connection:

http://fixitnow.com/...-dishwasher.htm

#7 sjhoffman

sjhoffman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

I am eyeballs-on-it positive that the basin is filling, I am also positive that it is draining just fine except for more gunk than I would like where it connects to the garbage disposal.  However, recently, when I was still trying to trouble shoot the problem, I noticed that the motor was trying to run but just had a low hum coming from it.  I had a friend come over, explained the problem, so he tested the motor.  He said that the motor is shot and needs to be replaced.  Where do I go now???

P.S. I Hope that thirty dollars can buy you a few more 12-packs...Grasshopper...

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:23 PM

Remove the dirty dishes and wash them by hand then replace the motor or the dishwasher, would seem like makes sense. ;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

Ok, you need a new motor/pump assembly.  Been doing lots of these lately.

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1060513

#10 sjhoffman

sjhoffman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

The dirty dishes are already done.  It only seemed like the next best thing to do.  I only hope( samurai, that this is enough for beer from a grasshopper, if not let me know: )  Should I replace the motor or buy a new dishwasher???

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:32 PM

[user=1825]sjhoffman[/user] wrote:

Should I replace the motor or buy a new dishwasher???

I won't tell you what you should do.  But I will give you some heuristics for your grist mill:

1.  All dishwashers today suck.  All.  Period.

2. On today's appliances, the industry average is that you'll be doing some type of repair on a new appliance every two to four years.  The only question is the difficulty and expense of those repairs.  See rule number one for dishwashers. 

#12 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:49 AM

That was the best .... You almost made me spit my beer out   LMFAO

#13 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:28 AM

Based on your first post I suspect that if you replace the motor/pump you will still have problems that require you to sink more $ into it.  If it were me I would replace it.

My  6 year old Jenn-air dishwasher motor crapped out on me recently.  Apperently the level switch didn't work causing the tub to overfill, leaked onto the motor causing the motor drain windings to melt and got the control circuit board wet which caused strange problems. 

After I dried off the control circuit board I confirmed that the drain motor windings were shot.  After researching a replacement motor I discovered that they come packaged with the pump.  My guess is they package these together because if the pump seal leaks water will drip on the motor windings and cause the motor to fry.

I decided not to drop $200 into a 6 year old dishwasher that was showing signs of wear.  I ended up spending $500 for a new dishwasher with a tall tub design and a stainless steel tub.  I like the tall tub design, I can put cookie sheets in the dishwasher now.

Since I have 5 people in my family and we do an average of two loads of dishes per day, I did not want to get the bottom of the line dishwasher.

#14 sjhoffman

sjhoffman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the info, Southern it makes sense. Thanks for everybodys input on this problem of mine.  Truthfully I am only a renter but I have complete control in matters like this.  I spoke with the landlord and they seemed to think it best to replace it based on everyone's info.  It seems to me that if every dishwasher is crap on the market today, why not just buy an extended service warrantee like most places offer, and than let them fix it in 2-4.   Does this make sense ?

P.S. everybody that frequents this web site really should contribute to the United Samurai Beer Fund because there are alot of websites out there like this that DO charge for this info and it's not as reliable as these Master Appliantologists.

#15 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:11 AM

Extended service contract only make sense if you are not capable of servicing you own appliances.  They also tend to be set-up so that they are out of warranty by the time you have any problems.

In my situation I did not have any problems with my dishwasher for the first 6 years.  If I purchased an extended service contract for 4 years then I would have wasted my $.

#16 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

Used to did not need any extended warranty as things were well built, but with all of the new stuff out there today I tell everyone to buy the extended warranties for as long as they will allow, you will need it...I buy them now for everything.  ;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics