Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer model #LXR6232EQO agitates while spinning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 maryloucb

maryloucb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:11 AM

My top loader whirlpool washer makes a terrible knocking noise while spinning, and I have determined that it is agitating while it is spinning.  After reading through several similar postings here I have determined it may be related to some sort of transmission, clutch and/or brake issue (are we talking about my Toyota truck too?)

I finally figured out how to disassemble/fix/reassamble my Asko washer and now I've moved and inherited this monster.  Frankly, I'm scared.  :crybaby:  Is it time to call in the professionals or can I handle this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:35 AM

Only thing that I know of that will cause these to agitate and spin at the same time is the tranny.....not hard to do, I can change them out in about 20 minutes here at the shop...will cost around $150.00 for the tranny plus shipping and tax I believe...

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:38 AM

Well, I was pretty close....lol....that is an 0 at the end of your model number, not a O  ;)
http://www.repaircli...asp?R=154&N=423

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 maryloucb

maryloucb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.  Now I must ponder whether I spend $150 on the part or $399 on a slightly dinged front loader.

#5 Kalel76

Kalel76

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

Unless you are an Appliance tech yourself, you might want to stay away from that "front loader".  You think you have problems now...just wait.  It doesn't get any better than a Whirlpool top load washer.  Those are the easiest washers you'll ever work on. 

I will also add that I encountered a similar problem.  With one exception, not only was it spinning and agitating at the same time, but it was also trying to fill with water.  I replaced the timer and fixed the problem. 

If you lift the top up (that holds the timer, pressure selector, etc) and see the timer in a metal body.  Try bending the tabs so you can see inside, and see if you don't see burn marks or discoloration...then you definitely have a bad timer.  Be careful though when you take this apart, there are lots of pieces and they easily fly off.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:10 AM

Unless you are an Appliance tech yourself, you might want to stay away from that "front loader". You think you have problems now...just wait. It doesn't get any better than a Whirlpool top load washer.

The blind leading the blind as they struggle with the modern washing machine dilemma: buy a water-hog top-loader that uses about 56 gallons of water per load or a front loader that uses about 12 gallons per load.

Wisdom! Let us attend!

#7 maryloucb

maryloucb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:36 AM

[user=26271]Kalel76[/user] wrote:

Unless you are an Appliance tech yourself, you might want to stay away from that "front loader".  You think you have problems now...just wait.  It doesn't get any better than a Whirlpool top load washer.  Those are the easiest washers you'll ever work on. 

Okay, I have to disagree...I worked on my Asko front loader and it was a pretty simple design.  The choice was pretty easy for me.  I swore that if I ever had to replace this particular washer I would get a front loader.  Less water, less energy, no expensive transmission to break...my new front loader is on its way!  Yippee!  The planet will thank me.

#8 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

I don't know what brand front loader you purchased and it really doesn't matter (hope it was a Whirlpool though) ...I usually don't recommend extended warranties but with a front loader I would purchase it if offered....trannys are expensive for top loaders but they are mechanical in nature....most ever device on a front loader is of an electrical nature and are equally if not more expensive and they will tear up also...the money you save on detergent and water will more than pay for the warranty and piece of mind down the road is a plus
This is the DAY that the LORD has made, REJOICE and be glad in it.....

#9 Kalel76

Kalel76

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:36 AM

Thanks Poobah, good to see someone else sees the light.

#10 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

You might can pick up a good used tranny if you look for an appliance boneyard near you

they go for 40 bucks here. I have come across one crazy tranny that agitated during spin cycle. That is wild aint it? I never got around to doing an autopsy on it to see what was wrong but I suspect that a pin sheared off the worm gear allowing it to do its thing even while the washer is going opposite direction and spinning like mad.

It is worth fixing. These machines are pretty cool. You have a really uncommon  problem. Usually not found in these bad boys.

"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

#11 maryloucb

maryloucb

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

Well, unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere, so it is hard to find parts for anything, let alone used parts.  I usually have to rely on the internet to find stuff like that.  I found a really great deal on a brand new front loading washer, so I think I'm going that route.  I will see if anyone around here wants to tackle the repair on the Whirlpool washer and take it off my hands, though.  Thanks everyone for your help.

#12 RxEnergy

RxEnergy

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

Before you all the way out and shell out for a new tranny check the basket block and the nut, which tightens the inner tub. With machine standing still try and move the basket with your hands: side-to-side and up-down. If it moves freely replace basket block and tighten it realy good. You'll also need a tool to undo and tighten the nut.  

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

There's only one thing that causes these direct drive tranmissions to agitate and spin at the same time, (there is one other thing that could cause it but have never heard of or seen it happen, the end of the shifter fork bends or breaks off).

The agitate cam on the agitate shaft, the ramps on the cam wear down enough so that when the shifter shifts the cam the cam can't lift the agitate gear high enough to disengage the spines that mate the gear to the shaft.

It's only around $15 for the part and not that hard to change. It can be messy if you're not careful when you open the transmission case, (need to have it held tight and level before trying to remove the case cover).

You don't have to worry about adding or changing the oil, the agitator shaft just lifts straight out and then you can change the cam. Use a razor blade to clean the old red locktite sealant from the case and cover then just use blue RTV gasket eliminator from the hardware or auto supply store to reseal the cover to the case, (just a small bead to the outer edge so that it doesn't squish into the insides of the gear case, probably wouldn't hurnt anything but better to be safe).

Here's a couple of discussions talking more about this same problem, some will have links to the part and pictures of the tranmission break down:
http://applianceguru...forum2/496.html
http://applianceguru...orum2/6785.html
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics