LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Rheem furnace clicks - somtimes ignites - sometimes not

yooper

I have a Rheem (RGDA 07EA AR) furnace that may click for a few minutes before it finally ignites, and sometimes it may stop clicking and not ignite at all.

I do always have a good pilot. Someone mentioned to try to turn the pilot up a little. I see the word "pilot" with a place to turn a screw with a flat head screwdriver. It is already turned all the way to the right, turning it the other way does nothing. Perhaps I'm not turning the correct screw?

I have replaced the flame sensor as well as vacuumed any cobwebs that I could see on the inside of the furnace.

On another note, I noticed a few times last year that the furnace sounded like a washing machine that had two many clothes on one side...rumble...rumble..rumble.

Although the noise went away, and I heard it once (but not as loud) this year, it is certainly not going to fix itself.

The furnace is 19 years old, and I have tossed around the idea of possibly purchasing a new unit. Of course this wouldn't be a very exciting purchase :X so I am looking for thought or advice before I take such drastic measures ;)

Oh, I did attempt a search but since the search is not forum specific I get many, many results when searching for "click".

Thanks,

Mark

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you get a manufacture (White-Rodgers, Honeywell, Robertshaw) and part number from the gas valve so we can see what type of ignition system this has. Or a picture of the componenets would help. Most of the older Rheem furnaces used a mercury flame sensor with a pilot relight control.

In general most pilot type ignition problems can be solved by disassembling and cleaning the pilot assembly including the orfice

You might want to get a guy out to install a RE-IGNITOR

it is a box that is powered by thermostat voltage

what it does is keep a continuous spark going to the pilot all during the time the heater is calling for flame. This helps that brain to light the pilot. It is way cheaper than replacing the brain.

Archived