Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
RodG

Looking for a Low pressure icemaker

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone makes a low pressure icemaker. I would like to run one off of my reverse osmosis system, but the presure is only about 7psi. Anyone know of anything?

Thanks

Rod

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The pressure requirement is based on the needs of the water inlet valve, not the icemaker. Theoretically, you should be able to find a low pressure solenoid valve, though I have no idea where. But then, that's why the pot-bellied Buddha gave us Google.

BTW, I supply RO water to my icemaker, no problems other than the occasional batch of hollow cubes.

i believe they sell "low pressure" ice cubes at most gas stations,they come in a 5lb. bag.

Thanks for the replies. I knew about the 5lbs of low pressure ice cubes. lol   I'll try installing the icemaker and see if I can make it work.

Thanks

Rod

Cute Kdog, but do not think that is what he is looking for.  LOL    I believe there is some sort of system that can be installed to boost the water pressure to the ref., but do not know how they work, nor where they can be obtained, probably like some sort of holding tank that is pressurized.  I have seen references to this sort of system for dishwashers when low water pressure is an issue as most are time fill also.  With low water pressure you will have problems with enough water to fill the ice maker, small cubes and the thru tube freezing up perhaps.  Or it sticking open, flooding the box.  Turn the fill time up on the ice maker so more water will enter when it calls for water.  Other than all of this do not think can do more about this as should be 20 psi to the valve for it all to work properly.

Hi Pegi,

I have found a booster pump, but it doubles the cost of the setup. I was just trying to find a cheaper way to get it done. The icemaker is 149 and the booster pump was 180. CND.

Thanks

Rod 

Rod, looks like we did not ask if this is an ice maker for a ref. or a stand alone ice machine.  These would be different systems.  If it goes into a ref. what brand ref., and were you needing the whole ice maker kit or just the replacement ice maker.

Sorry about that, I should have included it into my 1st post. It is going into a newer Kenmore refridgerator with the freezer on the bottom. The ice maker would have been one that is built to fit it (new). I held off, because my drinking water comes from an RO unit and the pressure would usually be below the required pressure.  ( I asked about it on the board a while ago.)

Thats why I was wondering if there was such thing as a unit that can run with the lower pressure. I might just install it and try to see if I can get ti to work without spending too much on it.

Thanks

Rod