Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSD6700G00BB won't work at all

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mtgjudge

mtgjudge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:35 AM

I have a GE Triton XL that is only a few years old.  After an electrical storm (not sure if that's related to my problem...), it stopped working.  The unit itself is getting power (i.e. the 12/2 electrical wire going to it, so the circuit from the breaker panel is fine), but the control panel on the dishwasher is lifeless.  I called the place where I got it, and they want $59 to visit plus parts & labor.  I live alone, so I've probably not done much more than 75 loads of dishes with this thing.  I'm pretty handy, but I am new to the dishwasher genre.  Can someone help me troubleshoot?  I have a multimeter and other neat stuff at my disposal.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

Wesley "using paper plates" Williams

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:13 AM

First, verify that you're getting 120v at the d/w junction box, behind the kickplate. 

Then, you'll need to open up the control panel and see if you're getting 120v all the way to the control board.  If you are, then the contrlol board is fried.

Help on making basic electrical measurements here:

http://fixitnow.com/...tion-making.htm

#3 mtgjudge

mtgjudge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

Ahhh, the Samurai has shown me the way!  Thank you soooo much!

That tutorial on multimeters was JUST what I needed.  Indeed, the control panel is getting 118 volts, and interestingly:  the connector that powers it has some black soot on it.  I'm pretty confident that yes, the control panel is fried.

Now, my new question is the following:  This part is covered under warranty from GE, but the labor is not.  I'm sure I could install it, but will the dealer give me grief if I bring it in and want to exchange it?  Please suggest the next course of action for your new disciple.

Thanks in advance,

Wesley Williams

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:46 PM

If the part is covered under warranty, then you'll deal directly with GE. Call their customer disservice number on your best speaker phone, press 1 for english, 2 for habla espanol, or 3 for somali and have some reading material ready for a long wait-- hence the speaker phone.

Finally, you'll get an affirmative action hiree on the phone who won't even bother feining interest in your problem and will do everything in his or her power to stymie your efforts to procure this board. They will insist that a GE-authorized servicer must perform the installation. Don't argue with them, they are just following their programming. What's a grasshopper to do?

Hear now the magic words, "I'd like to make an executive complaint." Persevere and ye shall overcome. See, I have told you before hand. Fear not, little flock, for I have overcome the world.

#5 mtgjudge

mtgjudge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:30 PM

HAHAHA!

That's very similar to what I got.  Only they said it was...let me try and remember the verbage..."not a customer serviceable part" (i.e. I had to pay some schmuck $70 to come turn a screwdriver and clip on 3 connectors).  I told them, "no no...its easy to install...it's only one screw and 3 connectors that snap in"...anyways, after a lot of verbal bantering, they told me to call my local authorized dealer, and if "they" said it was okay, they could give me the part to install myself.

Well, fearing the worst, I called them and they could not have been more helpful!  They ordered the part under warranty without the third degree, I picked it up, badda bing! Done!

(By the way, after talking to a electrician friend of mine it looks like the old one was fried because of a lightning strike near my home.  The power wire was blackened with soot in about a 3 inch diameter....off to get a surge supressor sometime soon.)

I'm back to pressing a button to wash my dishes and saving on the elbow grease.

Thanks, Samurai, for showing me the way!

Kudos on your forums here....I'll be back.

#6 mtgjudge

mtgjudge

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

Well, I knew I would be back....but who knew it would be for the same problem.  *dramatic sigh*

About a year after replacing my dishwasher's control module, a power outage caused a surge that fried another one!  The unit is still under warranty, so I've replaced the part - but how can I avoid this problem again?

The power went out for a few seconds at 4 am (not uncommon where I live - it must be a rural thing) and when it returned it killed the dishwasher.  It's on a 15A circuit just like the manual recommends, so what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

[user=1870]mtgjudge[/user] wrote:

but how can I avoid this problem again?

Battle plan Galactica:
- wire in a regular 120vac outlet under your dishwasher
- wire a suitably-sized appliance power cord onto your dishwasher
- purchase a plug-in surge suppressor and plug it into the new outlet you just installed
- plug your dishwasher in and re-install under cabinet

Problem solved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics