Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Electric Range C968-61083-1

jch

Greetings Master...

My electric oven no-worky no more.

Symptoms:

a) If I select "Bake", then the oven will only heat up to about 250F (but it does indeed heat up some).  The  heat on/off light stays lit.  The temperature dial clicks on/off if I back the temperature knob off to the 250F range so it appears that the oven knows that it's only 250F.

B) If I select "Broil", then the oven comes up to temperature and appears to work normally.

I thought it might be a faulty lower element, but then I assume it would not heat up at all (but it does--a bit).

So then symptom (a) made me think it's the temperature sensor.  However, symptom (B) contradicts that.

What steps would you recommend to troubleshoot this further, honorable ones?

--Your lowly grasshopper.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your speedy wisdom, master.

I now remember seeing a very bright spot on the lower element last week.  Perhaps the core has melted/opened and the element jacket is slightly conducting (enough to bring the temperature up to 250-ish).

Which, according to your article, means I need to pull the element to ohm it out etc.

Where would I find a repair manual for this model?  Do you have one online?

.../j

• Team Samurai

[user=3087]jch[/user] wrote:

Where would I find a repair manual for this model?  Do you have one online?

Maybe. And I say that only because we can't cross over Canadian model numbers. But, if we can determine the manufacturer of your range, we could get really pretty close.

However, you may not NEED the service manual. All you really need is the wiring diagram, a multi meter and that gray stuff betwixt your ears. Tech sheet (wiring diagram) will be cleverly hidden in your range. Favorite hiding places are the control panel and pots drawer, sometimes the very back of the range (older models).

My understanding is that all Kenmore ranges in Canada are made by Frigidaire.  But that is only heresay...

Couldn't find any sheet in the pots&pans drawer, nor on the back.

How do I get into the control panel?  Take the back off the oven?  Or can I get in from the front?

.../j

is this stove older?  i.e mechanical clock?  if so look at the light that comes on when you turn on bake

does the symbol look like a pan with little heat waves rising from it?

if so your clock has be set to warm and serve mode, turn oven on and fiddle with clock till the bake indicator light comes on and the other light goes off

clock should be labeled man, or manual and the dial should be pointing there

one knob sticks in and the other pops out

sorry i cant look up your model either... sears is even more anal in canada and i have no online source for their models

ohhhhh a scamco product

you'll need a bake element, easy test look at and feel the element for a hole, there is one quite often

if your range is not convection the element will be an rb147, all GE use this element, if its a 30" range

forget part number for the small 24" range

Gussing a ge made range, just need to unplug the thing and take a look at that bake element....probably a wb44x5099 from here, do not know what would be the number in canada..

I meant to UNPLUG THE RANGE first, will be live voltage even with it off.....then remove the two screws holding the element bracket to the oven body and then pull the element forward carefully so the wires do not come off....until you want to remove them.

Either/both....might be able to find the part number stamped into the element near the ends by sanding lightly with some sand cloth...or take it up and match it with the right one..if this element is your problem that is..

your canadian, phone reliable parts ask for rb147, i think reliable calls it eb147, they will know what an rb147 subs to

I cut the power and pulled out the element.

Wide-open circuit.  So it sure sounds like that's the culprit.

Part number on the element itself is *huge* (spade-connected):

ESM L300AT 187D1200P003 240V 3000W LR18376

Which part of this is the actual part number??

.../j

Went to Reliable Parts (here in Canada) and they gave me a "UB640" element.  Same dimensions, same connectors, same wattage.

Works like a charm.

Would that part # help me identify the *true* manufacturer for next time this oven needs fixing??

.../j

Archived