Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Washer 110.22052100

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deltamike

deltamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

This is the one with the knobless switch panel and LED display.  It acts like one of the preset cycle switches is shorted - the Permanent Press cycle stays on all the time.  If you press another cycle button, it beeps like it will accept the input, but when you release the button, it beeps again and the light by the Permanent Press button goes back on.  We're stuck in Permanent Press cycle.  This has been going on about six months.  For a while it would go back to normal and I could select a cycle, for the last two or three months it's been Permanent Press all the way.  Another thing, every once in a while the lights on the panel all go on at once and the panel beeps randomly - usually around 2AM.  No combination of buttons will get it to stop.  I have to unplug the machine and let it rest for a day or two, then it will stay quietly in Permanent Press cycle for another week or so.  When it was just me, I could get by, but my fiance and her three daughters just moved in and now it's more of an issue.  Are there some diagnostics I can do to single out the problem, or do I just have to start replacing stuff until it starts working right?  Start with the Panel Console (PN 8526962)?  Thanks for the help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

Deltamike,   sometimes corrosion can build up on the connectors to the board and cause problems.   The first thing I would do is unplug the unit and disconnect  connectors P3 and P4 from the control board and look for any crap on the pins.   Plug them back in and see what happens.  If the Perm press is still lit, unplug the unit again and disconnect P3 and P4.   With an ohm meter measure the resistance across P3-3  and P3-4.   Should get a reading only when the touchpad is pressed.  Make sure to have the negitive lead on P3-4 and positive on P3-4 when testing.  If it fails this test,  I would feel pretty safe to replace the touch-pad.   You can get the part here at the bottom of this page.   If that don't fix it....you can return it....Ron

#3 deltamike

deltamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:44 AM

Thank you, I can try to get at the panel this evening.  Looking at the parts list exploded diagram and the back of the washer, it looks like I can get the end caps off by squeezing the plastic pins sticking out the back and sliding the caps out.  - am I on the right track there?   There doesn't appear to be anything else to unfasten in order to open the console up.

#4 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:01 AM

Mike,   the end caps should pull right off on each side...there will be a screw under each one...Remove the screws and the consol will flip up...Ron

#5 deltamike

deltamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:31 PM

OK.  I got the console opened up.

When I disconnected P3 and P4 and reconnected them (twice), the problem remained the same:  When I plugged the washer in, it stayed on Permanent Press and wouldn't accept any other cycle selection.

When I re-read your directions to test the resistance across P3-3 and P3-4, I noticed you said to have the negative lead on P3-4 and the positive on P3-4 - must be a typo.  I checked it both ways and got 273 ohms each way.  So I did get a reading and the polarity of the meter leads didn't appear to matter.   Pressing the Permanent Press cycle button on the keypad didn't change the reading, and neither did pressing any of the other buttons.

Now I'm ready to order a touchpad.  I found the source of a leak - the outlet for the bleach dispenser was loose where it plugs into the basket and was spraying the water/bleach output into the cabinet.  If I had been using bleach I might have discovered this quicker.  Anyway, that seems to be ok now, so I'm going to order the touchpad.

Thanks again

#6 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

Deltamike,   there was an issue with this model where the bleach hose would split at the venture causing leaks...You have to really look at the hose close to see the split.  I bet this is where your leak is coming from.   I have seen a lot of these out on service.   Ron

#7 deltamike

deltamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:17 PM

Wow, y'all are fast - I edited my reply before I saw yours.  I took the hoses off the venturi to remove the cabinet, and when I took off the hose from the venturi to the basked fitting, I saw it was loose.  Then when I got the cabinet off I saw where the fitting went into the basket rim and then turned 90 degrees to lock in place.  I got everything in tight.  I looked at the venturi and the hoses and the rubber is still smooth and supple - I don't think this washer is very old, or well used.

Anyway, I just finished a cycle (Permanent Press!) and no leaks, so it's on to replace the keypad.  You guys really know your stuff. 

Thanks - Beer's on me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics