Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Defrost problem - Viking VCBB363L

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DougB

DougB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:33 AM

This unit is about 3 yrs old.

In mid November my wife noticed water leaking from the freezer.   It appeared that the condensate drain must be plugged.   I removed the ice, cleaned the drain, all appeared to be well.   Had good refrigeration.

Today the freezer was warm.  The evaporator was completely frozen.   I defrosted it with a hair dryer.   The evaporator fan works.   It refrigerates well.  How do I troubleshoot this?

While the unit was under warranty, had a similar problem, the tech wrote that he replaced the "Defrost Terminator???" (he wuz knot a very gud speler :)  so I'm guessing that is what was done.)  This is a dime size sensor mounted on the back panel inside the freezer.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jambatt

jambatt

Senpai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:19 AM

Start here.

Attached Files

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out alive !

#3 DougB

DougB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:37 AM

I need specifics about this Viking.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,581 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:59 AM

[user=29554]DougB[/user] wrote:

While the unit was under warranty, had a similar problem, the tech wrote that he replaced the "Defrost Terminator???" (he wuz knot a very gud speler :)  so I'm guessing that is what was done.)  This is a dime size sensor mounted on the back panel inside the freezer.

Your tech's spelling was just fine-- "defrost terminator" is a valid designation for that part, also called a "defrost thermostat," which is an overly-glorious term for what this part actually does-- terminate the power to the defrost heater in the event that something goes wrong.

Jambatt linked you to a useful reference. Use it and your meter to test the defrost terminator and the defrost heaters for continuity.

#5 DougB

DougB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

I reviewed your diagnosing defrosting problems page and pdf.

I'd like to know how to put this unit into defrost mode - I believe it's done through the control panel by pressing several of the buttons (display / alarm, etc) - I was looking for that info.

Also the defrost terminator - is it supposed to be normally open or normally closed?

I have heard that this was an Amana design that was sold to Viking.  

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,581 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

[user=29554]DougB[/user] wrote:

Also the defrost terminator - is it supposed to be normally open or normally closed?

I have heard that this was an Amana design that was sold to Viking.  

Could very well be Amana-built, in which case, all the more reason to check that defrost terminator-- a common culprit for this very problem in many Amanas. Should be closed at freezer temps. The operating temps are printed on the side.

But look closely at it-- if it looks like this, then, as my underworld apprentice, Rocko, would say, fuggetaboutit (it's bad).

Check that out and we'll go from there.

#7 DougB

DougB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:31 AM

I replaced the defrost terminiator in Jan.   Put it all back together. 

I have the same problem today - it defrosts, but doesn't drain, instead in freezes right below the evaporator, and eventually floods the freezer floor.

What is responsible for the defrost?   Is it the heating element below the evaporator or is it hot gas?   I'm mistified?

#8 FREONBOB

FREONBOB

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

sounds like you defrost is normal , but the water is not going down the drain . can you see the drain hole ?  is there ice in it ?  . think about it: THAT DEFROST WATER HAS TO GO SOMEWHERE   , sounds like its not going where it should , DOWN THE DRAIN  .   the cure :  hair dryer , hot water and towls for the mess

#9 DougB

DougB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:11 AM

About March 15th, I once again removed the frozen condensate.  Drain is completely open - poured a cup of hot water down it.  Went right through.

Evaporator is clear, no frost.

I wrapped a 12 gauge Aluminum wire around the calrod, and routed it down the drain hole.  Today, I see it's still freezing up!!

I've relplaced the defrost terminator.

My question is: Does the cal rod defrost the evaporator?  Or does this unit use another method (like hot gas?).  What else is there to replace?

The unit is about 3 yrs old - it just started doing this 5-6 months ago.

#10 FREONBOB

FREONBOB

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:17 AM

i do not know your fridge but i have worked on more than a few vikings , and i do know all about hot gas defrost . you need at least 1/2 hp compressor to do hot gas defrost and you dont have it your is 1/3 hp  . if you have a cal rod then thats what defrosts it . the last home fridge i have seen with hot gas was 1964 sears coldspot side by side and it needed a oddball 5 min defrost timer . . i think you can take to the bank thats its electric heat defrost ..... now on your problem with the drain . your not the first person to have the drain problem with the vking ,  the ice maker fill tube will freeze up too , and all i can do is defrost them and a few months the problem returns. i would contact viking , as of yet i have not heard of a fix , but see what a factory tech says . if you get a fix , PLEASE post it here . thanks and good luck   BOB

#11 DougB

DougB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Here's a picture....

Attached Files

#12 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

yep the calrod is whats defrosts the evap. coils. Since you have already installed the aluminum wire on the calrod and it did't completely solve your problem I would contact viking  ( or an authorized tech.) for further instruction
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#13 speeder

speeder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:kona

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

any solution to this problem?  having the same experience with a 5 year old fridge.  viking is *X*#*$*

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

any solution to this problem?  having the same experience with a 5 year old fridge.  viking is *X*#*$*

http://appliantology...service-manual/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics