Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

dryer venting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ammoniaman

ammoniaman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:57 AM

My house was built by a genius that placed the utility room in the center of the house and so the dryer vent goes to the attic. This doesn't seem like a real bright idea but I am not sure of the best fix. I can either exhaust it in my garage or take the vent through the roof. This would make my exhaust run about 14 feet in the vertical direction. I read the exhaulted ones dryer venting page but do not know if that applies to vertical venting as well. Any help will be appreciated.
Ammoniaman

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:44 AM

My opinion on venting a dryer through a roof in this thread.

#3 ammoniaman

ammoniaman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:01 AM

I have read the wisdom in the link. I still am in ignorance as to my options. I am still in need of further wisdom.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:19 AM

If that link didn't answer your question, then you must be asking the wrong question. 

#5 deltamike

deltamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:35 AM

Master, I face the same situation: on the other side of the wall behind the dryer is the garage.  The house is 15 years old and I doubt if the dryer vent going up through the attic and out the roof has ever been cleaned.  I ran a shopvac hose about 6 feet up the vent, but the dryer is still taking way too long to dry clothes.  I can climb up on the roof, take off the hood and run a brush down the vent while the shopvac is sucking down below, but then I'd still have a roof vent.  Should we run a horizontal vent around the wall of the garage to an exterior wall, and live with an inelegant solution?  Rip off the garage and build a new one on the other side of the house?  Slice open our bellies, spilling our steaming entrails on the garage floor?

We humbly seek your counsel.

#6 YouHurtMyBrain

YouHurtMyBrain

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

Run a cat through the dryer vent. Run the dryer. Repeat as necessary. This is to, uh... clean out the vent. Yeah. That's it!
- = - = -
Ow. My brain. You hurt it.

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

I sort of like the tearing the garage down and building a new one on the other side of the house...  ;)  but would seem running the vent right thru the garage and out the other side might work, or just vent it into the garage behind the dryer and install  a lint trap to catch what comes out in the garage. Might be warmish in the summer but would sure help heat the garage in the winter..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 deltamike

deltamike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

It occurs to me a workable compromise would be to run the vent up the wall into the attic and place the lint trap in there.  It so happens I have an easy access to the attic near the vent, so I could get there to check the lint trap and clean the vent when needed.  A shorter vertical run for the vent, no hole in the roof, and no hot air into the garage, here in south Florida, where the garage got up to 97 degrees today already. 

So what would work for a lint trap, either in the garage or in the attic, assuming that would be ok?  Thanks for your help

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

There are many styles, but the ones I have seen and used hold water and the vent hose goes into the top so the air can blow down onto the water and go back out thru openings in the top.  Picture a square pail with a top with slots with an opening to hold the vent hose.  The draw back is you would need to pop this top off every load or 3 or so to empty this water/lint soup and refill with fresh water.  This would limit where this could be located for easy access.  I am sure there may be other kinds, but this is the only one I have actually seen and used.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#10 ammoniaman

ammoniaman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. By the time I get to the attic and over to the eaves, I have exceeded all length limits for dryer venting, due to the humidity, it is not recommended to vent the dryer in the garage due to causing mold.
I will be following the posts and see if any fixes for my situation are offered.
Again, thanks for the replies.

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:10 PM

Be advised there are electric booster units that are installed every few feet in long vent systems, these open on heat rise, or there may be some other way of them running also,  and the fans draw the air from the dryer and boost it on out to the outside.  These are used for vents into the attic and thru the roof and instillations where the run is 20+ feet under concrete slabs and where the dryer is installed in an inside room in the middle of the house.  This might solve your problem even better???

#12 ammoniaman

ammoniaman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:42 AM

This sounds like the best idea yet. I will be checking into it. Better than moving the garage. Thanks

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:36 AM

LOL....Yes, this is better than moving the garage.....:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics