Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Tappan Automatic Pilotless Ignition won't light

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MattB

MattB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:37 AM

None of the burners light, and the oven doesn't light.  The ignitors click fairly rapidly.  The burners won't light with a match either.

I purchased this used and its probably old, but it worked at the previous owner's place.  It's been about three months since I bought it and I'm just now hooking it up.

I was thinking that something is clogged with debris so it's not letting enough gas get to where it needs to go?  There is a little metal part , that I think has a diaphram in it, right where the gas line connects in the range - I think it says Maxidol on it or something.  Could this be clogged?

With the gas hose disconnected, I can smell gas in the gas line.

Please help !!!

Thanks,

Matt

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:25 AM

Matt,  Im not sure because there is no model number,  but see if there is a shut off near the safety valve.   Take the bottom drawer out...look back there.   It would look like a pressure relief valve on a water heater only much smaller.   This could of snapped shut during your move if there is one.  Some are on the back of the unit....you would find it somewhere on the gas line on the oven itself...Ron

#3 MattB

MattB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:38 AM

Ok, I was wondering if it might have one.  I looked around the burners for one, but I didn't check down by the oven area.

I'll check that tonight - thanks.

Matt

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:07 AM

Model number help here:

http://fixitnow.com/...ommandments.htm

#5 MattB

MattB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:53 AM

Now that I think about it more, there was a valve on the gas line near the front left burner.  It was open.  Is this the one you are talking about?  Or may there be another valve later on in the gas line?

Also, to help define the age a little better, the range has an analog clock and timer.

Thanks,

Matt

#6 yambag

yambag

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Theres most likely water in the gas lines.The people cleaned the stove and got water in the gas lines.I see this alot in NYC.

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

You might see if some dirt daubers built a mud nest in the gas lines, this happens when items are left unused for awhile.  Start by taking the gas lines loose and see if you can blow thru them, where you cannot you might find the clog, if there is one.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 MattB

MattB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:25 AM

Ok, I'll try blowing through the lines.  I looked for a valve last night, and the only one on the gas line in the until was the one I specified earlier.

The model number is:  30-2032-23

Serial # is:  07088-85137263

#9 MattB

MattB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

I blew through the lines and it still didn't work.  Is it possible that there isn't enough gas getting to the range from the gas main?

The gas bolier runs fine, and the gas water heater runs fine, but I don't hear gas streaming out of the gas line by the range when it is disconnected.  Am I supposed to be able to hear it coming out of the gas line when it is disconnected from the range?

Thanks!

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

Goodness, yes, hear and smell!!!  Bet there is something wrong with the gas service line to the range.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics