Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid fridge too warm, but freezer is OK

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 talkietoaster

talkietoaster

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:26 AM

I have a KitchenAid Superba side-by-side unit (model number KSRS25FGSS14), and the refrigerator section is too warm, but the freezer section is working fine. I checked with a thermometer- the fridge is about 60 degrees.

Because I have read your "Online Refrigerator Diagnostic Guide", I know that the first thing to try is to turn the thumb screw CW to see if the compressor starts. However, I don't know where this thumb screw is.

Unfortunately, I don't have any manuals for it. I would NEVER lose or throw away an appliance manual, but this fridge came with our house, and the previous owners didn't give us any of the manuals for anything. (I think that was just part of their whole we're-divorcing-so-we-just-hate-each-other-and -the-whole-world-in-general mental state that they were in!)

Can you please tell me where this thumbscrew is? Also, do you know if this unit has a simple defrost timer or one of those newfangled "adaptive defrost control boards"? If so, how do I replace it (assuming that's the problem)?

Thank you very much for your help, and for running this great web site!

Also, my wife and I want to thank you for the REALLY FUNNY stuff we have read in your "Wierd Forum Posts" area! We laughed so hard we had trouble breathing! It was so funny that I just HAD to go make a donation to your beer fund right away (can't let those AA guys get to you, after all)!

Thanks again!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:56 AM

This has the ADC board in the control area, so your best way to start checking this defrost system is to check the defrost heater and the termination thermostat in the freezer, if they check good then you will know the ADC board is defective.  Assuming you have checked behind the back wall of the freezer after you open the freezewr door, to see if it is clogged with ice.  If the heater or bi-metal are bad, replace them, and be sure to defrost all of the ice on the coils with your hair dryer.  If this is not clogged with ice, you have other problems which will be addressed once we hear about what you have found behind the freezer panel. Look at the frost pattern also, if it is not all frosted up you have other problems.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 talkietoaster

talkietoaster

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I opened the back of the freezer and there was a lot of frost on the coils. I turned off the power, then immediately removed the defrost thermostat and checked its resistance: ice-cold, it was 7 ohms. Then I thawed everything out with a hair dryer, then checked the thermostat's resistance again: warm, it was 8 megaohms; looks like it's good (bummer- that would have been the cheapest and easiest thing to replace!).

The heater looks fine (although I'm not sure how to remove it and check it to be absolutely sure). So, I guess that my problem is the ADC board, right?

Thanks for your help.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,238 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

Check the heater the same way you checked the defrost t'stat: check its continuity.

#5 talkietoaster

talkietoaster

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:37 PM

Looks like I have another problem (or I was wrong and my original problem was not the defrost system). With absolutely no ice on the coils, now, it was still about 52 degrees in the refrigerator section. The freezer is -12.

The fan above the coils is working fine, but I just noticed that there isn't any cold air coming into the fridge from the freezer (through the little passage, at the top). I tried to push a screwdriver through, and I can't. I put my fingers in there, and managed to push open the little "doors" that were closed, but they won't stay open. I wedged the screwdriver in there, to keep them open, and now the fridge has dropped to 40 degrees.

So it looks like this thing (what is it?) isn't opening like it's supposed to. Is there a way to test it?

Thanks

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,238 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:50 PM

That's the air damper. Does yours have the touch panel control inside the big compartment, up top? If so, that computer might be bad. Locate the tech sheet in your fridge and run the diagnostic routine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics