Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Karla

old Kenmore electric dryer w/ no heat

6 posts in this topic

I am a novice to appliance repair, but very broke.  My dryer does not heat at all, and I watched the back of the inside with the dryer running on a heated setting and didn't see any red glow.  Husband thinks maybe the temp setter got stuck on delicate/low.  Can I take apart the little blue cylinder that houses it and see?  Or is it almost definitely the thermal fuse or heating element that's out.  I'd hate to start buying and replacing parts that don't need it if there's a way to tell which part is the problem.  Thank you so much!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You will need to test the element, thermostats, etc, with an ohm meter to see which part has failed.  Without a Model number we have no way of knowing what is in this dryer. Suspect the heating element first.

Thanks!  The model number seems to be 110 and the stock number 8698800.  Does that seem logical?  If so, does it help? 

The model number is 110.8698800, the 110 meaning this was made by Whirlpool and the rest is the model number.  Check the white plastic thermo-fuse on the vent housing on the back after the rear panel is removed.  If it checks ok, would suspect the heating element, or the fuse on the element canister, but do not know if this dryer has one because Sears says this is not a valid model number so please see what number is missing.

Sorry--you're right, it's 86980800.  Thanks, again

You will want to check reference #'s 14, 34, 1, 42, and 28.  Suspect # 1 first as this fuse blows if your dryer vent is blocked.

Leadimage.asp?productTypeID=0151200&brandID=0582&modelDesc=ELECTRIC%20DRYER&modelNumber=11086980800&documentID=00042061&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=BULKHEAD&titleID=00003&