Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

SubZero 650 U/L "Ice Service" Indicator

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckchuck

Chuckchuck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

Oh Great and Learned Ones...

Circa 2001 SZ 650 u/l.  No ice, Ice Service indicator flashing.  Ice Maker switch activates audible relay. Where do I begn my journey?

I am an Apprentice Appliantologist in your world but a Fix It Master in the realm of Sleepy Hollow with experience in water works, fire and ice climate control systems, AC & DC electric eels and lots of other worldly systems/devices.

Nothing mechanical/electrical scares me. :ninja:

I beg you share your wisdom with this lowly one...  I am prepared to reward knowledge with fresh home roasted coffee.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

I'd start right down at the water inlet valve. Ohm out the coil and see if it has continuity. Next test would be to manually cycle the icemaker and test for 120vac at the power wires to the water inlet solenoid.

#3 Chuckchuck

Chuckchuck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

Sounds good.  What do I do to manually cycle the im? 

#4 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

No ice will soon be the least of your problems if I am projecting far enough. On a 650 of this era, a flashing display panel indicates excessive compressor runtime. Check to see if the condenser is clean. I'll bet the condenser fan is running all the time, even when the compressors are off. If you turn the unit off and then back on the flashing will stop but it will most likely return. You'll have to dig further into it. I'd want to get a look at the ref evap after it has been running for a while and a ref compressor amp draw test will reveal much without putting gauges on the ref system.

There is a switch near the ice bin that must be closed (physically and electrically) for the i/m to work, see if it has power coming into it and going out of it. There could be two different types of i/m in there so there would be two ways to force them to cycle. Post a pic if you can or pop the front cover of the i/m off and tell us what you see.

Is the unit holding the set temps?

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 Chuckchuck

Chuckchuck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:13 AM

Hi AccApp,

Arghhhhhhhhh.....  Stop scaring me! :yikes:

Yes, everything is clean.  Twice a year it gets vacuumed with my trusty shop vac.  Cleanliness = lower energy costs and longer life.  I was up top 2 nights back and don't recall seeing/hearing the fans running but I will double check this tonight.

I've seen a couple of mentions about switches near the im but haven't seen them.  This is an upper lower 650.  Any ideas for the location of said switches?

The entire unit holds set temps with no problem. I will try the power down/power up to see if the light resets and I will let you know the results

Should I remove the freezer door in order to get best access to the im?  If so, any hints/warnings to follow? I will photo and post pics today/tomorrow.

Is there a service manual available on-line or as a pdf?

Thanks for everything.

#6 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

Don't remove the freezer door, you can easily remove the whole freezer drawer quite easily by pulling it out and lifting it up, forward and out. Then you'll see the switch thta gets closed by the ice bin to activate the i/m. There will also be two others, one to activate the light and one to turn off the fr evap fan when the drawer opens.

PM your email address and I'll be happy to send you a very vague, general service manual.

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#7 Chuckchuck

Chuckchuck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:58 AM

[shadow=green]Stange Brew...[/shadow]

So I cycled the unit off and on.  The flashing im service alert goes away and about 20 minutes later the im drops a load.  We go out for dinner and this morning the ice bin is pretty full (2/3).  I've emptied the ice bin and will see if it makes more.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  :? 

#8 Chuckchuck

Chuckchuck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

[shadow=green]Even Stranger Brew[/shadow]

So 24 hours later it is still making ice with no problems. Hmmmm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics