Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Round Three with our Whirlpool LXR6232EQ0 - Can't Afford a TKO!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 westchasemom

westchasemom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

This is round three with our Whirlpool LXR232EQ0.  The machine felt overloaded with two bathmats and the drum stopped spinning.  We checked the drive cam - the plastic parts and the rubber middle were perfectly intact.  Round two - we checked the basket drive (oh the joy of getting that rotten nut removed!).  The basket drive parts look fine, no metal shavings to be seen and the threads don't appear stripped on either the post or the part that sits between the post and the spanner nut.  What's round three?  We can't really afford to go buying a new machine but are quickly tiring of the laundromat (although there is a certain allure to getting seven loads of laundry done at the same time!).  Please advise!  Thank you!  M.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:44 PM

Did you check to see if the lid switch was broken??  Was the washer dead or was the motor running???  Does this have the off balance switch on the rear panel, could have broken it??? More information please.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 westchasemom

westchasemom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

The motor was running (at least, the machine was making a lot of noise).  I'll check to see if there's a balance switch (the diagram from repairguide.com didn't show one) and check the lid switch - although, the motor was making noise when the lid was closed - so I doubt that this was an issue - then again, I'm no expert!  Thanks for the feedback.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:43 PM

Yes, if the motor was running the lid switch and off balance if there is ok.  Where is the noise coming from???  the coupler was ok??   Check the pump, perhaps something is in there, remove the motor and lay it on the floor and run it by itself, if the noise is gone perhaps tranny??? Be sure the coupler is not cracked, that would sound like a jack hammer!!!  ;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 westchasemom

westchasemom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:09 PM

After hunkering down for Dennis, we're back to washing machine work!  I removed the pump and took a look inside (what of it I could see) and found no foreign stuff.  The part inside turns without much effort and the spindle that it attaches too can be easily turned in either direction by hand.  So, it's not the drive cam or the basket drive or the pump.  Tranny's next. Warning - nieve question coming up - Once I remove the motor - how do I test it alone (to see if the noise is coming from it or the transmission)?  If the noise is the transmission - what's my next step and what's it going to cost me?  As always, thanks for your help!  M

#6 westchasemom

westchasemom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:36 AM

Do you have any additional advice for us?  We're on the verge of caving in and going with a new machine - something we really wanted to avoid.  Thanks so much!  M

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

If you take the cabinet off, and make a jumper to bypass the lid switch(small piece of romex wire), you can put the machine into spin and visually check clutch.

If you see the clutch drum going around, but the basket don't turn, you need to replace the basket drive, or at least the release lever.

The noise you may be hearing is the nylon teeth stripped out inside gearcase, then you need a new transmission.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics