Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

OMG IS THAT A CAT IN THE MICROWAVE OMG OMG OMG

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 YouHurtMyBrain

YouHurtMyBrain

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

:yikes:

At least it's not in the toaster oven!

Okay. For a for-realies appliance question. In the freezer part of my fridge (and this is a general fridge/freezer question), my mother-in-law gets foam frothing from her mouth if we even think about blocking the upper vents (freezer-above type fridge/freezer type). I say she's full of malarkey, if there's still some space between the wall of the frostless freezer where the vents are, and the food we want nice 'n chilly. She wants to be able to see those sacred vents when she opens the freezer for her frozen weiners.

- = - = -
Ow. My brain. You hurt it.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

Your Mother-in-law is correct, one of the worst things you can do is block the air vents into the food compartment and the return air vents back into the freezer.  Never overload the freezer or food compartment. Let her see the vents when she checks her weenies.....the Samurai thinks cats taste good.....  yuck!!!  :silly:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 YouHurtMyBrain

YouHurtMyBrain

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

See, here's the thing - I'm saying it's okay to not see the vents, if there's at least an inch between the blocks of FrozenFud and the vent/wall-o'-vents. And it's not like we pack the freezer to maximum capacity - there's plenty of space around most of the stuff in there.
- = - = -

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:27 PM

Ladles and germains, boyz and beanz, I have the supreme pleasure of introducing you to one of my long-time forum friends, You Hurt My Brain.  Brain added much mirth and merriment to our old forum at EZBoard.  She also holds the distinction of being the artiste and creator of the Samurai Appliance Repair Man banner that you see at the top of every page here in the Samurai School.  She is also the creator of the one and only playmobil players who enact Shakespeare plays for our edification and merriment.

Brain, it's been years!  Good to see you again.  In light of your past voluminous (and unique) contributions to the forum, I've inducted you into the inner circle of Master Appliantologists.  Kanpai! 

#5 YouHurtMyBrain

YouHurtMyBrain

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:29 PM

Yay! Yay, me!

That doesn't answer my inch-from-freezer-wall question, though. And my husband is becoming a homebrewer, so that beer fund money goes to beer making supplies, rather than towards commercial beer breweries and distributors. I'm making mead, m'self.

So, where's the beer? It's fermenting, and should be done in a couple of months.

- = - = -

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:02 PM

Both Pegi and your Mums-in-law are mostly right but you may be partially right.  Here's why. 

The main way stuff is chilled in your freezer (and your entire fridge, for that matter) is by a process called convective heat transfer.  That means that chilled air needs to move freely over all the contents in the box to bing them down to temp and keep them there.  Block the air vents, you block the air flow, and reduce the efficacy of the chill.

You're saying leave some room in front of the vents so air can squirt out.  I'm down wit dat, yo.  But the acid test is the actual temperature distribution inside that box and the temp of the contents, especially those that no longer have a  free flow of frozen air going over them.  How's a home-girl to determine this?  Why, by using her infrared temperature sensor, which gives an instant and accurate temperature of anything you point it at and pull the trigger. 

Short of doing that, you're just hoping for the best. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics