Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Atlantis will not fill, or agitate, but will come on in rinse mode

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

Well, this is my first time here, so I would appreciate any help that you guys can provide. 

My Maytag Atlantis will not agitate or fill with water, but if I turn the timer to the rinse cycle and pull the knob it works.  It will not agitate in any of the various wash modes, but the rinse cycle forward will work.

The door switch is fine, the motor is running, but it appears that the timer box has "crapped out".

Can anyone help me here?  Where is the best place to get parts if I need them?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Model # is MAV7600AWW

Thanks

Jon

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

If the washer won't fill, it won't agitate either. The problem here is either in the fill valve or the pressure switch. You'll need to use your meter to see if you're getting 120v to the fill valve during the fill cycle.

#4 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

OK, here are my findings!

I have it working somewhat now.  It appears the timer is working, as when I put the water temp selector to hot/cold the washer fills, but there is no cold water mixed in with it.  If I switch the wires from the hot water solenoid to the cold water solenoid, then it lets in all cold water (on the hot/cold selection).   If I attempt to change the water temperature selector, then it will not fill.

Also, just noticed that when the indicator on the timer points to rinse, the timer actually stops.  If I move it past the rinse cycle and restart it, the timer starts working and gets ready for the spin cycle.

Is it the temp selector switch, or the water temperature sensor by the water solenoids?  Or something else?

Jon

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:36 PM

This seems to impliicate the water temp switch. But it would be so clear if you would just use a meter to measure the voltage.

#6 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:46 AM

Voltage at the water valves?

When it is letting water in, it measures 120V on the hot, and 0V on the cold.

If I change the temp control switch, then there is no voltage on either valve.

Do I need to measure the resistance of the water temp sensor?

Jon

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:04 AM

Ohm out the water temp switch to make sure it's switching correctly.  Ohm out the temp sensor, in accordance with the spec listed in wiring diagram. 

#8 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:14 AM

These have an electronic temperature control board attached to the timer, there were issues with these causing this kind of problem. Check for voltage to your water valves as suggested. If you need a new board, use the link at the bottom of the page - if it doesn't fix it, return it for a full refund. No questions asked.

There was a thread on this a month or so back here.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#9 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:00 PM

There should be continuity on the temp thermistor, correct?  I checked the resistance, and nothing.

Jon

#10 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Can I just put in a resistor to get the unit operational until my part comes in?  What should be normal resistance of the thermistor be on this washer?

Again, there is no resistance, so there must be a break in the thermistor.

Thanks

Jon

#11 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

Hello, my resisting friend. I pray that you checked the resistance of the thermistor on the rx10 and the rx1K scales? Yes? Very good. You have thus proven that the thermistor has failed and needs to be replaced. In your washer, the thermistor is built into the water valve. Here is the part you need:

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1063699

Allahu Akbar!

#12 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:51 AM

I checked it on the entire range of scales.  I have already ordered the water valve, as I did suspect the thermistor.

I will let everyone know if this has solved the problem, and again, thanks for all of your help.

Jon

#13 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:09 PM

Well, I did not even install the new valve, but I did hook up the thermistor on the new part with the power on the old valves, and the same behavior.  Looks like it is not the thermistor, so now what?

That control board is quite expensive.

Is is the board or the temperature switch, or something else?

Jon

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:24 PM

Wait a minute, you said:

I checked it on the entire range of scales.  I have already ordered the water valve, as I did suspect the thermistor.

If you reported the thermistor as being open, then that would be a fault condition.  The only conclusion here is that you did not make the measurement correctly and the thermistor is, in fact good.  We're not there with you, so garbage in, garbage out. 

Here's help on making simple electrical measurements:

http://fixitnow.com/...tion-making.htm

Read it, live it, be it.

#15 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

OK, here we go!

I checked the resistance on the 20K ohms scale, and I am getting a reading of 0.00 k ohms.  (Pay no attention to the low battery indicator on my meter - been that way for years).  This is the new part directly from the supplier, and my old part checks the same way.

I am assuming now that it could be the control board, as the temp selector switch works fine per the electrical schematic.

Anything else I should check.

Thanks

Jon

Attached Files

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

Well, there ya go: 0 k-ohms indicates that the thermistor does have continuity and that it is not the problem. Therefore, changing the valve would not hyave solve your problem. But this recommendation was based on bad information.

No assumptions-- post your wiring diagram and we'll proceed from there.

#17 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

Yes, you are right now that I think about it.  Sorry for the bad information.

I wonder why it did not work on my continuity beep check on my meter?  Diagram is attached.

Thanks

Jon

Attached Files

#18 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

I will scan it in if that is not good enough.

Jon

#19 JPA2002

JPA2002

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

OK, here is a better one.

Attached Files

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:57 PM

Ok, good enough. Check the continuity of the temp switch in the various positions as I mentioned before. We have to prove the board is bad by deduction; that is, by proving everthing else is good.

The reason your continuity beeper didn't register on the thermistor is because dedicated continuity checkers top out at 1,000 ohms (1 Kohm). At room temp, the typical sensor has a resistance of 1200 ohms (1.2 Kohms). Continuity checkers are fine for wires and switches, nothing else. Good tools but, like anything else, you have to know their limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics