Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Last desperate cry for help!! Please help me keep the repair man away!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rkharper58

rkharper58

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:09 PM

My Whirlpool (LA5580xtwo) washer will fill up then just stops. No agitation,rinse spin or drain. Replaced timer,checked lid switch with ohm meter(checked out OK)and checked for broken coupling pieces(none).If the coupling is bad shouldn't I still hear the motor running??? Any ideas what I can check next and how to check it???

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:11 PM

I would jump right down to the motor and see if it's getting voltage but not running. No voltage, next stop is the pressure switch.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:58 PM

I see no reference to a brand or model number, but the mention of a coupler leads me to believe this is a Whirlpool/Kenmore/Roper/Estate/Kitchenaide washer.  There is a service pointer out on some of these washers about the fill level switch not giving power to the timer after the washer fills.  This is what I would be checking first.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 rkharper58

rkharper58

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:15 PM

Where is the fill level switch and the presure switch located.Any part #'s and how can I check these? Whirlpool LA5580xtwo

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

The fill level switch and pressure switch are the same, it is the switch that you set the water level with in the console.  Unplug the washer, loosen the console, flip it over the back of the washer and use your ohm meter to see if there is power to the timer via the purple (V) wire and either tan or pink with the washer full of water.  Cannot remember if tan or pink is full or empty right now, but the schmetic on the back inside of the washer under the console will show you which is empty or full.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:27 PM

I can never remember, either-- getting too old to trust my memory any-damn-way. Fortunately, I don't need to remember, that's why the pot-bellied Buddha gave us wiring diagrams.

#7 rkharper58

rkharper58

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:35 AM

How can I check if the motor is bad?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:55 AM

Wrong question.  You should ask, "How can I check the pressure switch?"

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:16 AM

Copy/paste of reply before the question "how do I check the motor"   The fill level switch and pressure switch are the same, it is the switch that you set the water level with in the console.  Unplug the washer, loosen the console, flip it over the back of the washer and use your ohm meter to see if there is power to the timer via the purple (V) wire and either tan or pink with the washer full of water.  Cannot remember if tan or pink is full or empty right now, but the schmetic on the back inside of the washer under the console will show you which is empty or full.

#10 rkharper58

rkharper58

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:54 PM

Since I wasn't sure how to check the voltage on the presure switch, I went ahead and replaced it. Still no agitation or any other cycle. The washer fills up to the top and probably would overflow if I don't shut it off. Do I have to recalabrate the new pressure switch? What should I check for next??

#11 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

You have to get the water out of the hose that runs to the pressure switch. Get a pair if needle nose plyers, take the hose off the switch, blow air into the hose untill you hear it bubble it the tub, then pinch the hose with the needlenose( a few inches from the end ) and put it on the switch without letting the water come back up the tube.

If this don't work, check for a broken wire going to the motor. Also, check the red wires around the capacitor

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics