Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
scdgoofy

Heat won't stay on - Whirlpool dryer LGR7646EQ3

6 posts in this topic

I have a 6 year old Whirlpool LGR7646EQ3 with issues.  When the dryer is first turned on, it will heat for about 8 to 10 minutes before the heat cuts off and it just tumbles for the rest of the cycle.  Needless to say, the clothes don't get dry.

Per the FAQ here, I took the back off and found that the blower and lint trap area was free of buildup.  I also ran the dryer with the back off and could see that the during the initial cycle, there was flame showing and heat coming out of the blower.

However, once the heat turned off, it never came back on.  Looking down the um, err, "chimney" I could see an orange glow about every couple of minutes.  I assume this to be some sort of pilot or ignition source, but the flame never took hold.

Any advice out there?

Thanks tons in advance!   -goof

(Not sure if it matters, but I did just do a self-replacement of the timer, which had gone bad.  I used part number 3976580 in the replacement, about 2 months ago.) 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sounds like the coils on the gas valve have gotten weak and need to be replaced, they are not holding the gas chamber open.

Ok, so if it is the coils, how difficult of a self-repair is this? I think I'd have to remove the drum, correct? I'm a bit mechanically inclined, but the wife will kill me if I take apart the dryer and can't put it back together.

Also, looks like these will work, but just wanted to double check:

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=3479

Top up, front off, burner is on the left side at the front.  Can turn the gas off, remove the burner assy and pop those coils right onto that valve, following the instructions carefully..drum stays in the dryer.  Looks like the right coils to me.

Yup, it was the coils.  Thanks so much for the help.  I got them installed with only a bit of difficulty.  (The location of the drum made it really had to get a phillips screwdriver in there.  I was also worried that the drum had become unseated from the front and back of the dryer, but once I got the front panel back on and fired it back it, it spun right back into place perfectly.)

Thanks for the help.  I've made my nominal donation the Great Samuri Beer Fund as appreciation for this helpful forum.

-Steve (scdgoofy)

Thanks for letting us know this repaired the dryer and you are welcome...;)