Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Maytag Dryer - Drum won't turn after replacing guides

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Phil_*

Lurker_Phil_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:46 AM

I have a Maytag elec. dryer Mod# DE8600. It was making a scraping sound so I took it apart and noticed the the drum guides were completely worn out. I replaced the guides (using a rivet gun) and now the drum won't turn. Motor is fine but it seems like the drum is too tight after putting on new guides. If I apply some pressure to the belt while it's on, it feels like it wants to start turning. Is there a belt adjustment somewhere or is there something I need to do after putting in new guides?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:52 PM

[user=0]Phil[/user] wrote:

I replaced the guides (using a rivet gun) and now the drum won't turn.

Is it the right way to replace guide (using a rivet gun)?
If not, do it the proper way first.

The Seven

#3 Lurker_Phil_*

Lurker_Phil_*

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

Yes. Using a rivet gun is the correct method. The guides come with rivets and there is no other practical way to do it.

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:20 PM

I'd check the routing of the belt, it's very easy to get confused on these. I think we have a picture somewhere....

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 Lurker_Phil_*

Lurker_Phil_*

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

I have double checked the belt routing and believe it to be correct. The felt seals appear a bit worn. Could that cause the drum to bind?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

The felt seals appear a bit worn. Could that cause the drum to bind?

If the felt seal is extremely worn, it can cause increased rolling resistance and binding, usually accompanied by lots of noise. 

Here's a look at a belt stringing picture on this dryer:

Posted Image

#7 GuidofromCT

GuidofromCT

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:29 PM

Nice pic. Maybe the cylinder is not quite in properly and is binding. Be sure the glides are under the cylinder.

yo, just do what ya gotta do!

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:32 AM

I have double checked the belt routing and believe it to be correct. The felt seals appear a bit worn. Could that cause the drum to bind?

Phil, this one can be kind of tricky if you've never done a Maytag like this one. Look at the above picture and follow it closely.

AND the MOST IMPORTANT THING: The belt goes around the drum with the flat back side of belt (Not the v-grove side) against the drum surface unlike all other dryers, if you have put the grooved side of belt against drum and routed the belt correctly the flat back side of belt will be riding on the top of the v-groves on the drive pulley.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 Lurker_Phil_*

Lurker_Phil_*

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm confident the belt is on properly and I'll go ahead and replace the felt but it still seems like the new guides are causing a tight fit. These guides are called both 'Tumbler Bearings' or 'Front Glide Kit'. Other than just pulling off the old guides and installing the new ones, is there anything else that should be done like spraying the guides with silicone lube?

#10 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:09 AM

Hello, my confident friend.  I remember the first repair I did on this washer, back in the days when the Mujahideen waged jihad against the Soviet infidels.  I was so proud of the work I had done in replacing the front glides that I bragged to all the camel herders and yak milkers.  But it turns out that I had installed the glides upside down such that the cork strips were in contact with the drum lip.  Imagine my embarrassment when my dear friend, Samurai Appliance Repair Man, pointed this out to me whilst he was in Afghanistan to procure a shipment of our legendary poppy products.  O, the shame of being corrected by an infidel!  Allah humbled me that day.  Perhaps there is something of value to you in my humiliating experience.

Allahu Akbar!

#11 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

Heh, the cork on the outside would definitely create some drag coefficient... :-)

I was thinking maybe the bulkhead isnt correctly seated to the front of the drum and its cocked in or bound up. I replaced one of my bearings recently. My  Neptune dryer was only 4 years old.

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:07 AM

One other possibility that I forgot to mention.

The belt is not suppose to be in the one inch small step down groove in the drum, it must ride up on drum in front of the stepped down area.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics