Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore elite 110.63012100

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

Holy crap, I just typed out a long drawn out detailed description of the problem i'm having with my kenmore  Electric dryer #110.63012100 complete with florid prose and witisisms then posted it and it vanished:yikes: aaargggg! So here's the short version ... Dryer worked in last house...moved to new house... Dryer had heavy condensation in drum when allowed to cool between loads, cleaned out squirrel nest from vent under house ... added freer flowing squirrel proof duct work and cleaned internal ducting in dryer...no more condensation but now the  dryer takes over an hour to dry clothes...I'm thinking thermostat or partially burned element...am I on the right track or not ? If so how can I troubleshoot said items without throwing parts at this machine. thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Element is good or bad, the water in the dryer points to an air flow blockage problem from the dryer to the outside, long dry time points to the same air flow problem, remove the vent hose from the dryer and try it.....if it drys ok gotta do something different with that vent in the house.

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the quick reply pegi but as I said in the post the venting situation has been corrected and I read here http://www.repaircli....asp#Level2_13  that it is possible to have a partially burned out element.

#4 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:53 AM

Was thinking that maybe when I had the venting problem that the excess moisture may have shorted something.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:59 AM

does it heat at all?

It there plenty of air coming of of the vent on the outside of the house ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

Yes it does heat but I suspect that it is not as hot as it used to be but I have not checked it with a thermometer ,It's drying but I have to run the clothes through twice to get 'em dry ,I've tried the timed dry and the auto sensing settings and both take longer than usual. I have completely cleaned the venting system and replaced the old crappy flex vent with one that is much smoother inside , It seems like it is unrestricted with plenty of airflow coming out. Total length of vent is aprox.8' long .

#7 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

are you certain the washer is spinning all the water out of clothes? try wringing them after a spin, you should get no drops of water when wrung, check speed selector on washer, make sure it wasn't bumped into perm press spin(slow spin)

also make sure washer drain hose wasn't kinked when machine was pushed into its spot

btw most screens that stop squirells also stop lint fropm exiting, so make sure that screen isn't partially plugged already

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#8 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

I have checked the moisture of the clothes coming out of the washer,and connot wring any water out of them so that is not the problem. ventilation is not the problem either.Does anyone else have any fresh ideas? how do I check my element to see and sensors/thermostats to see if they are working properly? can they be checked with a multimeter ?Thanks,I'm kinda in a hurry here if I don't fix it soon the wife is just gonna buy a new one.

#9 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

usally when a element is burned out it will not heat at all at least not this brand (GE HAS TW ELEMENTS) you never did tell us what peg suggested try running a load with the vent off the back if that is ok then i would replaced the thermal kit i think its 279816 better check to make sure

#10 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

I guess I didn't say that I have tried the dryer with the vent disconnected and had the same results. I did however mention that it doesn't seem to be a venting problem, I think something else was damaged when it wasn't venting properly initially. I am going to check on the part you mentioned as I am not familiar with the thermal kit you mention. thanks

#11 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

I looked at the kit you indicated , are these parts all of the components that control the heating besides the element or are there any more sensors or controls that need to be checked. I don't mind paying for the parts if you think it may fix it I just like to check parts before replacing them as a rule. thanks

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

Check the temperature of the air comming out of the disconnected vent after running about 10 minutes
on a normal, empty, non-sensor  cycle.

You could use a meat thermometer.

The range should swing somewhere between 110° F to 160° F

With wet clothes, it would take longer to reach those temps, especially with electric heat.

#13 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for not suggesting that I check my vent system;) I am running the dryer now with the hose disconnected and an oven thermometer set in the vent about three inches in. dryer is set on the normal/perm press setting and timed dry. will post again in ten minutes.

#14 honeydoo

honeydoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

10 minutes empty,normal cycle, timed dry, temps are 130 to 140 degrees.

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:34 AM

It seems the themostats are all working OK.

It'll take longer to reach those temps with wet clothes, especially with electric dryers.

Is the air-flow good with the vent disconnected ?

You could try running a full load with the vent disconnected and see if it works better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics