Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero 550 leaking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jaygolds

jaygolds

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:13 AM

I have a Subzero 550 (in a house that I've recently moved in to).  There is a leak coming from underneath the vicinity of the fridge. 

How easily can it be pulled out to check to water connection behind it? 

Also, recently the freezer has been freezing the door track shut.  I took off all of the internal covers over the fins and found the fins totally frosted in.  I've turned off the freezer and totally defrosted it.  So far so good.  Could this have anything to do with the leaking? 

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

It's most likely the water inlet valve or associated tubing for the icemaker. There's a narrow metal grate right down at the floor. Remove a couple screws and remove the grate.

In accordance with Samurai's 4th Law of Appliance Repair, "All leaks are visual," use a flashlight and see what you can see!

#3 jaygolds

jaygolds

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

Bingo!  I actually was just doing that before I checked the email.  It is leaking where the compression fitting screws on to the plastic threads of the ice maker mechanism.  

Unfortunately as I tightened the connection the leak got worse.  There is no watertight position with the brass connection to the plastic threads.  I will try Teflon tape to see if that seals it. 

I will try and replace the brass connection piece.  Can the plastic threaded piece be replaced as well?  It does not appear to come off easily. 

Any suggestions? 

Also, there is no shut off on the water line.  Is it worth adding one in the plastic tubing? 

Thanks again!  You da man!!!!!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

[user=1940]jaygolds[/user] wrote:

It is leaking where the compression fitting screws on to the plastic threads of the ice maker mechanism.

Are you talking about where the copper water supply tube connects to the blue water inlet solenoid valve? The water inlet valve have two wires attached to it. Is this what you're seeing?

Also, there is no shut off on the water line. Is it worth adding one in the plastic tubing?

The shutoff should be in the water supply supply line. This should be copper!! If not, then make it so. This line is always under house water pressure and it at major risk for bursting and making a big mess in your house if it ain't copper.

#5 jaygolds

jaygolds

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:49 AM

Are you talking about where the copper water supply tube connects to the blue water inlet solenoid valve? The water inlet valve have two wires attached to it. Is this what you're seeing?

Yes.  There is a brass connector with a 3/4" female end to attach to the blue water inlet valve and a 1/4" compression fitting on the other end.  The leak occured at the 3/4" end.

The shutoff should be in the water supply supply line. This should be copper!! If not, then make it so. This line is always under house water pressure and it at major risk for bursting and making a big mess in your house if it ain't copper.

The water supply line is copper until it gets to the back of the fridge.  From there 1/4" plastic tubing connects to the water inlet valve.  Unfortunately I can not find a shut off close to the fridge.  I had to turn off the water to the entire house to stop the leak.  I was going to put a shut off in the plastic line merely so I can work on the connection at the inlet valve easier.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:50 AM

The shutoff valve will be at the other end of the copper tube, could be down in the basement, where it ties into a main cold water pipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics