Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dancingbear

dancingbear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

I have a universal card reader/writer, it plugs into a USB port. I use it for transferring files via SD card.

Normally, when such a device is plugged into the Mac, an icon appears to signify the device, and you can then open files on the device or drag items to the device.

The icon isn't appearing anymore. I thought it was a problem with my old card reader, so I got a new one. It works fine with my PC laptop, (which is otherwise a total piece of crap, but I need a PC for some things) but when I plug it into the Mac, it usually doesn't appear to recognize that a device has been plugged in. It has recognized it twice, and both times it worked fine. Then nothing. Other items work fine in that same USB port. (Mouse, printer) Also tried it in other ports. Still nothing, except when I tried it in one of the low power ports on the keyboard, and then it just told me I couldn't use those ports without more power. (I knew that, I just wanted to see if it would recognize a device had been plugged in)

Any ideas about how I can remedy this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:42 AM

If you plug other USB devices into the non-responsive ports, do they behave the same way as the card reader (no appear)?

#3 dancingbear

dancingbear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

Yes, the mouse, my printer, and my dig. camera all work fine with these ports. I got it to work a few times yesterday, then it quit again. Since that, I suspect it's the card reader at fault rather than the mac. They're cheap, I'm going to try another one.

#4 obrien1984

obrien1984

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

Dancingbear,

Try this. First, open Disk Utilities (this is located in Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities. The keyboard shortcut is Command + U from the Finder).

Disk Utilities will show a list of drives currently connected on the left hand side. One of these will be your Macintosh HD. You might also have a CD drive or something else.

Now, plug in your SD card. Wait a few second. Does anything show up in the left panel? If so, does it appeared to be "greyed out" or scummed back? If so, try clicking on the icon, and then click the "Mount" button at the top of the Disk Utilities window.

Let me know if that works. If not, there are a few other things to try.

Joseph

#5 dancingbear

dancingbear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

Thank you, Joseph. It turned out the reader was bad, I got another one, it's been fine since. I copied your reply to my own files, though, because I might need it another time.

#6 stainlesssteel

stainlesssteel

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:sweet strong mixed drinks

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

test 1
Custer wore Arrow shirts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics