Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermador RDFS30QW Gas Stove Igniters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

Here's one for ya,

Thermador range, model described above about 10 - 11 years old.  2 burners are xtra low, 2 are standard.  LF xtra low would not ignite, followed Thermador service book, traced it to igniter brain after checking all the book said and then some.  Got a new one, put it in and voila, burner works fine, lights everytime.  Great, right?  Well if you use 1 of either the LR or RF the igniter clicks continuously, just like it did after I troubleshot it orginally.  The key here is it did not do this until I troubleshot the darn thing.  Reading all I could here, suggests a ground issue or dirty igniters.  Everything looks good (at least to me), but the clicking continues if using one of the mentioned burners.  Otherwise new brain has solved all ignition issues.  Could the new brain be faulty, probably not is my thought.  Need ideas.  Naturally no service that's anygood for this unit.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

the LR or RF burners do not light after clicking ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

The LR and RF burner do light after clicking; however, if I only light the RF burner, the clicking continues also vice versa, if I light the LR burner only, the clicking continues.  The igniter brain clicks all 4 burners at once.

Thanks again,

Mike

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:55 AM

Does the clicking stop once the burner is lit ?

I'm searching for the Thermador service manual....

#5 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:11 AM

If the LR and RF burners are lit together clicking stops, do not have the issue with the other 2 burners.  That's why I'm thinking it's something stupid.  If I use the LR or the RF burner without the other lit, the sparking/clicking keeps on clicking.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

I looked at the service manual.

Do you have the (2) grounding screws (tight) and the one connector screw installed ?

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

Are you sure you don't have the ignitor wires crossed for those two burners?

If this is possible, I'm sure it would cause the problem your having, since all click at the same time when any burner is turned on it lights ok, but doesn't sense a flame because the ignitor that is looking for flame is on the burner that isn't lite, (unless of course you light both burners).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:45 AM

I have the 2 ground screws tight as I specifically checked them.  Not sure what you mean by the connector screw, any hints will be appreciated.  I have the service manual, but haven't found the connector screw. 

Have I crossed the 2 wires, hmmm???, anything is possible, I can switch and see what happens.  I thought that the wires basically only reached to their respective burners, but I will check as I have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Thanks for you help,

Mike

#9 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:17 AM

Willie,

You got it!  I had the 2 wires crossed, even though I had checked that earlier on the schematic.  Not sure why I didn't see it.  Anyhow, the old Thermador now works like a charm.  No more bleeping clicking. 

This Thermador's a nice unit, best oven I've ever used, and the xtra low burners are nice; however, as we all know here, it's no more reliable than any other brand.  Overall, mine hasn't been bad and thankfully I got a Thermador guy out at their place in Calif to send me a service manual some years back.

I owe you a big beer.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics