Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool dishwasher leaking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 piko

piko

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hi, my 18 month-old Whirlpool dishwasher is leaking from where the motor shaft enters the pump housing kit.

Whirlpool says the entire motor-pump assembly has to be replaced. Is this absolutely necessary? The motor and pump seem to be just fine. I figure that the only thing that is faulty is probably the motor-shaft seal.

Could I service this myself or should I pay the BIG BUCKS for Whirlpool service?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:33 PM

The motor/pump assembly has a 5 year warranty. Have Whirlpool send you the part (free) and install it yourself.

#3 piko

piko

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

Does this apply to Whirlpool Canada as well?

When speaking with Whirlpool they offered to replace the motor/pump assembly, but said that their serviceman would have to install it (approx. $200 CAD for service/labour).

When I suggested that if they were only willing to cover the cost of the part, then I could pick it up and do the service myself, they refused (said they had to provide the service).

What's my recourse?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

Don't know, but this would be clearly stated in the Use and Care guide that came with your d/w. Whirlpool will tell you, too.

#5 piko

piko

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

The Use and Care Guide states:

ONE-YEAR FULL WARRANTY; and,
TWENTY-YEAR FULL WARRANTY ON DURAPERM TUB AND INNER DOOR.

I guess my original question still stands. Does the full motor-pump assembly have to be replaced or could just the motor-shaft seal be replaced?

What else could be a cause for this leak which is noted from the tube where the motor shaft inserts into?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:53 AM

I've never replaced just the motor shaft seal because I've never seen that to be an appropriate repair.  Once the seal leaks, the mtoro itself has been afected by the leak and must be changed.  So you're into a motor.  Then it turns out that for just a few shekels more, you get the entire motor/pump assembly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics