Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
piko

Whirlpool dishwasher leaking

6 posts in this topic

Hi, my 18 month-old Whirlpool dishwasher is leaking from where the motor shaft enters the pump housing kit.

Whirlpool says the entire motor-pump assembly has to be replaced. Is this absolutely necessary? The motor and pump seem to be just fine. I figure that the only thing that is faulty is probably the motor-shaft seal.

Could I service this myself or should I pay the BIG BUCKS for Whirlpool service?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The motor/pump assembly has a 5 year warranty. Have Whirlpool send you the part (free) and install it yourself.

Does this apply to Whirlpool Canada as well?

When speaking with Whirlpool they offered to replace the motor/pump assembly, but said that their serviceman would have to install it (approx. $200 CAD for service/labour).

When I suggested that if they were only willing to cover the cost of the part, then I could pick it up and do the service myself, they refused (said they had to provide the service).

What's my recourse?

Don't know, but this would be clearly stated in the Use and Care guide that came with your d/w. Whirlpool will tell you, too.

The Use and Care Guide states:

ONE-YEAR FULL WARRANTY; and,

TWENTY-YEAR FULL WARRANTY ON DURAPERM TUB AND INNER DOOR.

I guess my original question still stands. Does the full motor-pump assembly have to be replaced or could just the motor-shaft seal be replaced?

What else could be a cause for this leak which is noted from the tube where the motor shaft inserts into?

I've never replaced just the motor shaft seal because I've never seen that to be an appropriate repair.  Once the seal leaks, the mtoro itself has been afected by the leak and must be changed.  So you're into a motor.  Then it turns out that for just a few shekels more, you get the entire motor/pump assembly.