Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore front loader (417.41142000) leaking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kobayashi

Kobayashi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:37 PM

I have a 4 year old Kenmore front loader.  My washer does not leak when the water is filling up or draining.  However when it goes into the fast spin after it drains, water starts to leak out the back.   I am assuming that the water is coming from what is being spun out of the clothes.  I had a repair guy come when my wife was around, amd  he could not reproduce the problem, but I think he ran the machine without anything in it.  She still had to pay him anyway :(.  I am getting really frustrated with this machine and am tired of mopping up water.  Is there a way to fix this, or should I go out and fork up the bucks for one of those new Whirlpools.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:46 PM

First, get your money back from that bozo or have him come back out at no charge and do what he should have done in the first place: reproduce the symptom under the exact conditions, that is, when the washer is actually washing a load of clothes. If he has to lay on the floor with the front panel off for the whole cycle to find the problem, so be it-- you hired him to find and fix the problem. If people start holding these schlocky parts changing money's feet to the fire, maybe they'll go back to digging ditches or working the toll booths.

This problem will be either a leaking pump, leaking pump boot, or leaking tumbler gasket. Pray to the buck-toothed Buddha that it's one of the first two things.

#3 Kobayashi

Kobayashi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:06 AM

I going to try to get him to come back, but is there a way for me to figure out what the problem is before he comes?    Since it does not seem to leak when its pumping, why would the pump or pump boot leak when it is spinning fast.

>This problem will be either a leaking pump, leaking pump boot, or leaking tumbler gasket. Pray to the buck-toothed Buddha that it's one of the first two things.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:59 AM

Samurai's 4th Law of Appliance Repair illumines us in our time of need, "All leaks are visual."  Ah, yes, comforting words for trying times.  Inspired to go forth and conquer, you'll remove the front panel, start a load of wash, get a flashlight and lay on the floor.  Watching.  Waiting. 

Watching.

Waiting.

BOO!

#5 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

[user=1960]Kobayashi[/user] wrote:

My washer does not leak when the water is filling up or draining.  However when it goes into the fast spin after it drains, water starts to leak out the back.  

Does it make abnormal noise when it spins?
If so, the water could leak out from the drum bearing seal.
If no, there could be a hole on the upper half of the "plastic" outer tub. There was a previous case from this forum that a hole was cut by sharp metal object (screws left in the pockect of his workcloth) getting in between the stainless steel inner tub and the plastic outer tub. Any metal objects , like nails and coins, could cut hole in plastic tub easily.

Follow the "visual" inspection as suggested by our Grand Master.
The Seven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics