Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool frontloader, water keeps running

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TechnicianBrian

TechnicianBrian

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:14 AM

Hello all.  Recently I was called out to a Whirlpool frontloader (GHW9100LW0) on a call back from another tech.  The customer insists after running a load, water will continue to enter the drum and resoak the clothes that just went through the spin.  It doesn't do it all the time, and has not done it while I sat and watched.  The previous tech replaced the control board and charged her $134 for his efforts.  I am trying to solve her problem without chucking parts at this thing.  Here are some details -

No visible problem during the diagnostic test cycles.

Customer indicates a slow stream running down the boot from the fill tube.

If she catches it running, it stops when she unplugs the machine, and restarts when plugged in.

It has been known to half fill the tub if left for several days.

It doesn't do it all the time, and sometimes just enough to get the clothes wet again.

Water valves ohm out perfect. 

Water pressure seems fine, and no other leaking has occured.

No fault codes have occured during the whole process.

The drain motor was replaced 5 weeks ago due to a failed impeller according to the tech.

I am leaning toward replacement of the fill valves, but she is parts shy at this point (afterall, I am the fourth person out there) and doesn't want to keep throwing money at it.  I am returning next week after she has a chance to do some more loads and make sure she is clear in her mind what she is seeing.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Brian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:25 AM

We have seen this in the Duets and replacing the fill valve solved the problem, the plunger was not seating all of the way, sometimes.  Do not imagine this washer would be much different.  However, it stopping when she unplugged the machine makes one pause about the valve.  Sounds like something could be feeding low voltage to the valve sometimes also.  Take your volt stick to see if there is any feeding the valve when the washer is off, if so trace it back to the source. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:34 AM

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/Whirlpool/NDOHQFPJ.gif

Which board was replaced previously? User interface (item 2) or control board (item 15). Strikes me that the valves are getting some kind of power when they shouldn't be (stops water flow when unplugged). Like you say, we need a better handle on what's going on here. I'd have been inclined to go down the same road as you, go back in a few days and get more info on what's happening.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:04 AM

From circuit diagram of the control unit of Duet, they use "triac" to switch the inlet valves. "Triac" is a power electronic switch that has a small amount of leakage current when it is in OFF-state. The higher the ambient temperature, the higher is the leakage current. At a "high" ambient temperature, some poor "triac" could have a "high" leakage current that could "hold" the valve OPEN.

When user unplugs the washer, the leakage current will be zero and the valve will return to CLOSE. When she plugs it back again, the valve will remain CLOSE because the leakage current is not enough to OPEN it.

The only remedy is
a) to replace the control unit, hoping the unit have better "triac" and/or
b) to replace the inlet valve, hoping the leakage current of the "triac" will not hold the valve OPEN.

The Seven

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

"and restarts when plugged in." States the water starts running in again when plugged back in.

" the valve will remain CLOSE because the leakage current is not enough to OPEN it."  Could this still be enough voltage to re-open it when it is plugged back in at the same rate???

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

Triac could sometimes turn ON momentarily by voltage spikes during plug-in or switch on. This momentary ON could in-turn energize the valve at a full voltage for that short period and then the valve is held OPEN by the "high leakage current" of that poor triac.

If the triac is "poor", this may happen intermittently because the leakage current increases with ambient temperature.
The Seven

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

Yet again..

"Electronics and water don't mix"

Wally Anderson (1947 - 2005)

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 TechnicianBrian

TechnicianBrian

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:35 PM

It was the control board that was replaced by the previous tech.  I am still inclined to replace the valves as they are the constant in this eqation.  I thought about the triac idea, but figured the chances of both boards being bad was slim.  And the customer said it stoped running when the machine was unplugged, but I am leaning toward her being mistaken in her observations.  That is part of the reason we are waiting a few more days, so she can get a better handle on what she is seeing.  Thanks for all the input.

Brian

#9 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:18 AM

I would go for the water valve too. Replacing that valve has ended many repeat service call problems, and the part isn't too expensive.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

Replace the water inlet valve. Slam dunk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics