Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

GE side-by-side gets too cold

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Chilly Willy_*

Lurker_Chilly Willy_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

My GE Profile Arctica PSS27SGMB goes way below the temp setting on the freezer & frig.  It freezes the water reservior and therefore the water desipnsor in the door does not work.  I have to turn the digital termostats to "off" and let things warm up.  It will work fine for a while after that.  Once the water dispenser stops working agin, I check the temperature read out and see that it has drooped way below the set temperature.

Could this be the damper control that lets cold air into the frig side from the freezer.  Why would the freezer get colder than its setting?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:57 AM

[user=0]Chilly Willy[/user] wrote:

Why would the freezer get colder than its setting?

GE Profile Arctica has a "Pre-chill" for its adaptive defrost control. "Pre-chill" would lower the freezer to -17 F (-27 C), much lower than its normal setting.

The "Pre-chill" operation could last at least 2 hours before defrost-heating. It could last for 8 hours if the freezer door were open frequenctly.

The "Pre-chill" would freeze the water reservior and the fresh food on the fresh food side if the damper control is bad (or stuck open).

The Seven

The Seven

#3 Lurker_Chilly Willy_*

Lurker_Chilly Willy_*

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

Seven,

Thanks for the reply!  Can the damper control be "unstuck" and function properly or must it be replaced?

Chilly Willy

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:52 AM

There is a known issue with the damper on these - (sacrilege mode on) I suggest you call GE Service on this (sacrilege mode off).
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 Lurker_Chilly Willy_*

Lurker_Chilly Willy_*

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

I may try to tackle this myself.  Do you know how I can get step-by-step insructions on how to replace the damper?  Would you really discourage me from trying this?

#6 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

Read this

Are you sure you need a damper?  I can tell you what to look for.

#7 Lurker_Chilly Willy_*

Lurker_Chilly Willy_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:02 AM

Jedi,

Based on all my research, the highest probable cause of the problem is the damper.  Based on those odds, I am willing to buy the part and replace it my self but certainly don't want to waste time or money.  I will have a GE service person do it as a last resort and only if some one can persuade me not to do it myself.

Willy

#8 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:58 AM

Here is knowledge.

Remove the light cover from the top of the fresh food compartment.  Remove the light  bulb that is to the rear and loosen the one toward the front till the bulb goes out.  Now use a flashlight, squint, and close one eye and look into the damper assembly.  You may see the damper door broken off and laying sideways down inside the damper. 

Attached is a picture of a new damper assembly next to an old one.  (the new one is on the left)

More knowledge will be dispensed as needed.

Attached Files

#9 dennya

dennya

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:13 PM

Having this problem with my Artica now. Repair guy can't come till Monday. What's the best way to keep everything from freezing in the meantime? Anything I can do to block part of the damper, etc? Or should I just turn the fridge on/off throughout the day?

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

Might try puttng some tape over the opening, try covering half of it and adjust from there.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#11 dennya

dennya

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

Thanks. I'll give that a shot!

#12 Lurker_guest_*

Lurker_guest_*

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:57 AM

Please note that the cold air get blown down through the drawers via the channel on the back wall of the fridge compartment also .

#13 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:12 AM

[user=0]guest[/user] wrote:

Please note that the cold air gets blown down through the drawers

It happens at this time of year, but the weather will turn in a couple of weeks.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics