Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag dishwasher upper spray arm assembly/heated wash?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:19 AM

Maytag model WC202, serial 645309 RA.

Found upper spray arm sitting on top of dishes in top rack. Found matching blue plastic "cross nut" (for lack of better term) in bottom of tub. Used cross nut to secure spray arm to upper water jet.

Questions:

•Is any additional hardware required? O-rings, washers, spacers? The other day the pump made crunching noises while draining; wondering if it could've chewed up a broken washer or spacer.

•Unable to determine from wiring diagram taped inside outer door panel if pulling timer knob to select heated dry also activates heating element to give heated wash. Anyone know?

•Would like to know approx age of unit. Can someone help decode serial number?
Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

Are you referring to the part, 9-11536?

Looks like the spray arm sits on a couple o-rings.

#3 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:19 AM

No, that is the lower wash arm. The one in question now is the upper wash arm, above the top rack.

#4 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:30 AM

Hello again, my slanty friend.  So, we meet here in the Kitchen forum.  It is a small world indeed!

Please forgive our dear and gracious host, Samurai Appliance Repair Man, for mis-reading your original post.  Undoubtedly, he still suffers from the effects of fighting with the Mujahideen here in Afghanistan in helping us to repel the Soviet infidel invaders while he worked as an independent contractor for your Ameedican CIA during the 80's:  the gun fights, the bombings, the poppy fields, the women, the camels... oh! the camels!

Now, what were we talking about?  Oh yes: your dishwasher upper spray arm.  Perhaps this diagram will more ably assist you.

Allahu Akbar!

#5 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:50 AM

Moostafa, hi. It's no surprise we should meet here; my laundry room is right next to the kitchen!

Thanks for the diagram. P/N 9-11861 appears to be the plastic cross-nut I found in the bottom of the tub and used to reattach the upper spray arm. It doesn't appear there're any washers or anything there, just the cross-nut. Thanks for your help!

(Any thoughts on the other two questions?)

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

Hi Dan,

Moostafa is very skilled in all things technical. For example, he gets online via an old US Army portable satellite uplink transmitter using an old iMAC powered by a camel dung and lime juice battery that he designed himself. So he knows his way around technology.

If one were to judge him based on his present life situation, you would be deceived-- he lives in a tent in the Afghani mountains with his four wives and 17 children, raising camels and yaks. But this conceals the fact that Moostafa was a very valuable CIA asset for many years during the Soviet invasion for Afghanistan and I had the priviledge of fighting along side him. Clever technician, fearless warrior, tireless partier... my old friend Moostafa was all this and more.

Today, however, Moostafa is an elderly gentleman in retirement with lots of time on his hands for reminiscing about the glory days of this past. And you know how time can re-shape memories, especially while chewing on poppy flowers that grow wild all around his grazing land. So, you can take Moostafa's technical advice to the bank but dump the rest of his rambling right in the toilet where they belong.

Now, on to your other questions.

Post your wiring diagram here so I can feast my Vulcan squinties lovingly upon it.

As for the age of your dishwasher, if you've reported the serial number correctly, then it was built in January, 1986.

#7 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:30 AM

I stand in awe of Moostafa. Here I thought I was clever, connecting via a Commodore VIC-20 hooked up with home-drawn wire (made out of copper I smelted atop my stove -- I insulated it with overlapping ant thoraces) to an old Admiral 21" black-and-white television set, and the whole shemozzle powered by a team of 73 vigourous young stoats running atop a belt sander being used as a generator. But I'm not in an exotic place like Afghanistan, so Moostafa has definitely got me beat.

I'll retrieve that wiring diagram next time I'm in there, scan it and post it. Thanks for the serial number decode. This dishwasher has racks that are from another planet (where they put plates up top and glasses down below -- the heathens!) but it works very well.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:39 AM

"""but dump the rest of his rambling right in the toilet where they belong. """"    How boring would this forum be without the colorful, if off beat and slightly weird, ramblings from the wonderful Moostafa, I look forward to each and every post to see how outrageous the new one is from the last.  Keep posting your slightly bent tales and help make the day fun.....:P

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#9 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Post your wiring diagram here so I can feast my Vulcan squinties lovingly upon it.

Here 'tis. Looking again at this, it seems to me that the heating element is not active except during drying, so no self-heating water. Any easy way to change this so that self-heating water is possible?

Thanks DS

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:38 PM

Depends on the type of heater.  Is it the calrod type in the basin or is it inside a blower chute, designed to heat air? 

#11 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

There is a calrod type element in the bottom of the tub.

This dishwasher does have a blower, but as far as I know its only function is to exhaust moist air from the tub through the door during the dry cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics