Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE dryer "Auto" cycles don't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:21 AM

GE dryer model VD952KW419, serial EF565450.

Works fine when timer is used in manual time-based mode. If an auto cycle is selected, dryer runs and heats, but timer will not advance—it'll run all day and all night if allowed to do so. Any thoughts on how to fix? (Also, any idea how old this unit is?)

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:51 AM

Do not recognize that as a valid model number, however is this gas or electric??   The timer will not advance if there is something wrong with the heat circut on auto, so check your house vent.  Remove the vent hose from the dryer and see if it advances with this off, if so you need to clear the vent in the home. If it still will not advance and this is electric and has 2 elements, one could be broken, not getting hot enough to cycle off on the thermostat which it has to do to advance in auto . If this is gas, air flow is critical for the dryer to advance in auto.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 YouHurtMyBrain

YouHurtMyBrain

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:55 AM

This isn't the answer you're looking for, but welcome to public forums :D

I've found over the last 15 years that the "auto dry" feature on 3 different manufacturers' dryers just plain suck, and exclusively use timed drying.

- = - = -
Ow. My brain. You hurt it.

#4 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:57 AM

Canadian model w/bilingual labelling. I'm sure there's a US model equivalent with English-only labelling. It's electric. Completely new exhaust system, which greatly improved dryer performance, but did not fix auto cycles. Dryer performance on manual is excellent, even in "Gentle/low heat" mode, so I don't suspect a dead element. Is there a moisture or heat sensor somewhere?

#5 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:11 AM

Hello, my slanty Canadian friend.  When running your dryer in the so-called automatic dry cycle, you must understand that the cycle time is not controlled by the timer, but rather by the operating thermostat.  When the thermostat is satisfied, it opens the heating circuit and the timer motor is permitted to advance.  I would recommend that we proceed with this investigation by discovering why the timer motor is not being energized in the automatic dry cycle.  A cursory perusal of your dryer's wiring diagram would reveal much.  Can you post it here for our weighty ponderings?

Allahu Akbar!

#6 slantsixdan

slantsixdan

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:18 AM

H'mmm...I could if I knew where to find it!

#7 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:20 AM

Hello again, my hmmming friend.  The standard practice of the Great Satan, GE, in addition to tormenting millions of Muslims, was to store the wiring diagram inside the control panel. 

Allahu Akbar!

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

If this dryer has 2 heating elements like most G.E. electric dryers do, it would heat if one was broken, but would not get hot enough to cycle the element off on the thermostat so the dryer would never advance in automatic. Since cannot see what is in this dryer I would suppose they are behind the drum, which would mean up with the top, off with the front, out with the drum to see if one of the coils are broken. If the thermostat were dead there would be no heat, if it was welded together the dryer would get so hot your clothes would come out smokin....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics