Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore frig 106.50793000 beer side warm; freezer cold

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 telemachus

telemachus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

First, what a great site!  I've read many posts on this familiar theme but I am still having problems diagnosing.  Performed diagnostics on tech sheet for defrost heater and air diffuser (baffle) module.  Both passed.  Some frost on evap coils but not blocking air flow.  Baffle louvers are open but beer side won't get below 45F.  Thermostat controls are set at freezer 6 and beer side full cold (9).  I suspect a return air problem but can't figure out the air flow openings.  There is a louver vent in the beer side about 2/3 down and a small hole further down that dumps cold air into the crisper drawer.  (The small hole is passing some cold air.)   I would like to check and see if the return air louver from the frig to the freezer is plugged up with ice but can't find the corresponding opening in the freezer side.  Is it behind the evap coil?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:32 PM

Bear in mind that if the louvre in the diffuser (top left rear of Newcastle compartment) is broken, it will still pass the diagnostic because the motor is still moving. I'd definitely make that air diffuser the first port of call, given past experience.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 telemachus

telemachus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the quick post.  Well, the diffuser/baffle/damper seems to be working.  I can see that the louvers are open and I could see them close and open during the diagnostic test.  Some cold air is moving through the louver to the Shiner Bock side but the flow seems weak.  The flow seems to improve slightly if I open the freezer door.  I would like to rule out an air flow problem first since it seems to be the simplest and least inexpensive problem to fix.  I did a manual defrost of the evap coils to clean off the frost--estimated at 2-3 mm thick evenly coating the coils.  After a couple of Euro temp Shiners, the Shiner side is still running about 45F, the freezer at 5F.  All fans, compressor, etc. are working.  Any other ideas? 

#4 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

Hello, my baffled friend. As I lay here on my camel skins with the Afghani morning sun just cresting the mountains, it occurs to me that the key to this problem was your statement that

The flow seems to improve slightly if I open the freezer door.

If accurate, this can only indicate a return air flow problem. I recommend that you focus your priviledged Ameedican eyes on this air flow patterns and ports, especially the return port, item 5.

Allahu Akbar!

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:44 PM

One thing these are prone to is freezing of the return air duct. I used to see a lot of this, especially among people from South of the Border who store a lot of high-moisture foods e,g, pans full of beans. My advice was to ensure things such as this are covered. I'd give the side of the beer compartment a few sharp taps with my hand, you may hear ice breaking and falling. A little warm water in the duct should clear it (it will be messy!)
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,016 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:44 AM

Similar to this scenario:

http://fixitnow.com/...ide-by-side.htm

#7 telemachus

telemachus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Okay, I found the return air vent on the freezer side.  It is behind the evaporator cover on the bottom right side.  It was clear of ice.  Just to make sure I ran some warm air from a hair dryer through the louver vent on the beer side and could feel it coming out through the return air vent in the freezer.  I buttoned everything back up and set the controls for Freezer 6 (one unit past halfway) and Beer side 9 (full cold).  I waited six hours then opened freezer to check temp (-10F) and beer side (40F).  I noticed that the beer side air damper/baffle/diffuser door was closed at this time.  I left the beer side door open for 30 seconds and the damper door opened.  Since everything seems to be working properly, I wonder if the beer side thermostat is failing.  I would have thought the beer side would be colder than 40F.  The wiring diagram shows that the beer side thermostat controls the air damper/baffle/diffuser door and possibly the evap fan.  It seems to me that it is shutting off the evap fan and closing the  damper door before my beer gets cold enough.  Do thermostats fail like this?       

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:52 PM

Might wait before doing anything else for a few more hours, as it takes the food side 24 hours to cool down and stabalize when ever the controls are changed.  Check it in the morning after it has been running and closed all night. But at 9 you may have everyting frozen in the FF side...LOL
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#9 telemachus

telemachus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, I wondered if I would have Shiner Bocksicles in the morning but I didn't.  I guess the beer side is barely cold enough but it seems odd that before the warm up I was running both the thermostats at midrange and was seeing 35F in the beer side.  Now with the beer side 'stat set at full cold I'm seeing 40F.  Seems to me the thermostat may be going bad.  Is there any way to test it?  Does it work off a variable resister? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics