Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Refrigerator: NO POWER!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bldn10

bldn10

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

My 13 y.o. Kenmore 18' over/under started warming up a couple of weeks ago. I removed the rear panel in the freezer and it was iced up pretty good. I defrosted it and the temps dropped but started coming back up the next day. It was iced again so I deduced something in the defrost circuit. I decided on the timer since it is cheap and easy and unplugged the fridge and removed the timer to take to the parts place w/ me. As I was leaving I plugged the fridge back in but have no power whatsoever - no lights, no nothing. Plugged the old and new timers in but nothing. I did check continuity on the power cord and it is OK. Any ideas? Also, a few months ago the compressor started being real loud when it started up; it would quiet down after a minute or so. Is the compressor going? Is this unit even worth repairing?  

Bill/Memphis

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:25 AM

With the original defrost timer removed the box would have been dead.  Perhaps the new one was in defrost, which would make the box dead except for the light.  Turn the knob on the timer to see if you can get it into the cooling mode.  Need the model number so we can see who made this for Sears.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 bldn10

bldn10

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for your reply, Pegi, but, like I said: "... no power whatsoever - no lights, no nothing. Plugged the old and new timers in but nothing."

I am concerned that after spending at least $100 getting it fixed I will have a box w/ a compressor that is going bad. If it would last another few years - fine - but if it is just going to go out in a year or less, I might as well get a new one.

Bill/Memphis

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

The light would be on even if the box was turned off as long as it is plugged in, see if you have voltage at the outlet.   What is this model number so we can see who made this, there is no defrost timer out there that costs $100.00, more like $20-$30.  What on earth did you buy??

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 bldn10

bldn10

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:59 AM

The defrost timer was $25 - I was anticipating that that might not be the problem and a service call + some new part would = at least $100.

How embarrasing - the service man came yesterday and noticed right off that one of several plugs in the upper left of the freezer in the area of the defrost thermo, etc. was not plugged in. I did not unplug it but the ice may have forced it out. Whatever. Anyway, that fixed the power problem. When he heard the compressor kick in he said he did not think I had a defrost issue but that the compressor's "days are numbered." The box was made by Whirlpool and he said they had a poor compressor design at that time and that I was lucky it lasted this long.   

The box is still not getting cold so I am going to buy a new one today. Should have done that to begin w/.

Thanks for your help.

#6 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

Hello, my embarrased friend. May I recommend that you purchase a nice Muslim-built refrigerator? Very well: I recommend that you purchase a nice Muslim-built refrigerator.

Allahu Akbar!

#7 bldn10

bldn10

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

I would but I heard you cannot keep pork in them!  ;)

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:03 AM

:P

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:08 PM

I would but I heard you cannot keep pork in them!

You can, but it has to be kosher pork.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics