Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub zero refrigerator stopped working?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dr.ykang

dr.ykang

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:33 AM

Hi, I have a sub zero 361rfd just stopped working. The lights and fan still work, but the motor (or compressor?) is not working.

It is 1987 model. What is the problem? Should I fix it or replace it with a new one?

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:31 AM

If the compressor is not running, you probably have an electical control problem. Get a pro to service the machine. You don't want to trash a $3000 machine if it just needs a thermostat or relay. It's worth the cost of a service call to know what is wrong and what it would cost to repair. Then you can compair the repair cost with the INSTALLED price of replacement.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 dr.ykang

dr.ykang

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:34 AM

Thank you very much.

Could it be the defrost timer? It is constantly making faint clicking noise. The clicking noise is gone only after shut down the power.

Regards.

Kevin 

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:47 AM

Could be the compressor start relay, or the start/run capacitor if your modle has one. That would explain the clicking.I've only worked on the Kitchenaid built -in units, so I don't know the Sub-Zero line.

I would still reccomend having a pro check it out, and I would want factory parts used. You don't want a compressor cooked by a "one size fits all" 3rd part part.

If you have a guy come out for repair, have the power off to the unit. That way he won't be working with a hot compressor that has been trying to start for hours.

Good luck

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:47 AM

You can manually tur

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:48 AM

You can manually tur

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:54 AM

sorry, computer operater error

you could have a bad timer, can you manually turn the control?

#8 dr.ykang

dr.ykang

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:01 AM

The timer could not be stopped and keeps clicking. The refrig has auto defrost, no maual control for defrost.

Thanks.

#9 dr.ykang

dr.ykang

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:02 AM

Thank you. I'll shut off the power. It is Sat., could not get sub zero tech here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics