Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dr.ykang

Sub zero refrigerator stopped working?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a sub zero 361rfd just stopped working. The lights and fan still work, but the motor (or compressor?) is not working.

It is 1987 model. What is the problem? Should I fix it or replace it with a new one?

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If the compressor is not running, you probably have an electical control problem. Get a pro to service the machine. You don't want to trash a $3000 machine if it just needs a thermostat or relay. It's worth the cost of a service call to know what is wrong and what it would cost to repair. Then you can compair the repair cost with the INSTALLED price of replacement.

Thank you very much.

Could it be the defrost timer? It is constantly making faint clicking noise. The clicking noise is gone only after shut down the power.

Regards.

Kevin 

Could be the compressor start relay, or the start/run capacitor if your modle has one. That would explain the clicking.I've only worked on the Kitchenaid built -in units, so I don't know the Sub-Zero line.

I would still reccomend having a pro check it out, and I would want factory parts used. You don't want a compressor cooked by a "one size fits all" 3rd part part.

If you have a guy come out for repair, have the power off to the unit. That way he won't be working with a hot compressor that has been trying to start for hours.

Good luck

You can manually tur

You can manually tur

sorry, computer operater error

you could have a bad timer, can you manually turn the control?

The timer could not be stopped and keeps clicking. The refrig has auto defrost, no maual control for defrost.

Thanks.

Thank you. I'll shut off the power. It is Sat., could not get sub zero tech here.