Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore gas oven ERC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mdg

mdg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:58 AM

Kenmore gas oven 278.3128890 ; old (Goldstar) ERC had failed (buzzing relay; unable-to-control rotary switch).

Replaced with Robertshaw ERC unit (GE replacement part WB27K5053), which came with replacement temp sensor. New unit's clock functions work, but "bake" and "broil" buttons do nothing when pressed except blink the time display. Temp sensor measures just under 3K ohm @ room temp.

Suggestions on how to diagnose? debug?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,923 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:03 AM

Check your wiring.  Then check it again.  These kits can be tricky to install, you have to follow the directions exactly. 

#3 mdg

mdg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:35 AM

Checked, and checked, and checked again.

White - N; Black - L; Green - Ground
and Orange - BA.

Instructions also say to jumper BA with BR.
I've tried it both with and w/o the jumper.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,923 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:05 PM

If you're sure you did it correctly, that only leaves a bad ERC. But, I gotta tellya, pilgrim: of all the electronic boards I've replaced, I honestly can't remember the last one I got that was bad off the shelf. Oh, I've had several that made the *think* they were bad, but it turns out they were just messin' with me. They, too, tasted my blade.

#5 mdg

mdg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

Yes, I know; I'm _very_ loath to believe the board is bum. Any way to check it though?

One thought is that the connection (ribbon cable, surface mount) between the keypad and the control board is faulty - but would that cause the no-action Bake/Broil? ... domo ..

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,923 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

No check, cash only. :P

Your only option at this point is to swap out the board with another new one.

#7 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

it takes a (^^%$#$#@%^U) to understand  the G.E . wiring info . but i can help you did nothing wrong you just have a different replacement board  the wb27k5053 has been changed (ge has changed many of its part no3 )there is a jumper that needs to be used . in your case you need to relocate 1 of the terminals on the sensor
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#8 mdg

mdg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:48 AM

Yes! JahJahBinks is correct -- the replacement cable for the sensor is a 2-wire cable, with a 3-pin connector to the board. As supplied by the manufacturer, the cable is incorrectly wired. The fix is to move the wire from the center pin on the cable to the outside pin. (the cable connects to pins 1 and 2, but should connect to pins 1 and 3).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics