Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

sears range class action suit

BrntToast

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a joke to go after Sears and ignore the other retailers. It's rare as hell to see any stove with the anti-tip device installed. I would say it's less than 1 out of a hundred. Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, ABC Warehouse and all the smaller outfits are doing exactly as Sears does.

I believe it was David Letterman who used the phrase...

"The biggest weasels in all of Weaseldom"

Nick,

Just curious, did you get something in the mail from a law firm about a Maytag/Whirlpool class action lawsuit on overtime pay?  I did. I'm not sure I should include myself in the lawsuit. It might ban me permanently from ever working for Sears or Whirlpool again.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Ontario, Sears is telling us that only gas ranges need the anti-tip bracket.  We must follow the installation code for NG and LP appliances governed by the T$$A (Technical Standards and Safety Authority).  The code reference states that the appliance as well as all accessories and components must be installed according to the manufacturers installation instructions.  When we see the bracket not installed we fill out a non-immediate hazard tag leave a copy on the appliance and with the customer and file one in the shop.  The shop must then contact the gas supplier and notify them that there is a customer with an installation that is not to code.  The customer now has 90 days to correct the problem or else the gas utility will be calling them and possibly shutting the gas off.  

Now the majority of our customers have paid either Sears or some other installer to safely install their appliance according to the installation instructions and yet they have no bracket.  Although it is not very likely that the range will tip over, the fact remains that it was the installers job to do it right the first time with the bracket - ITS IN THE MANUAL!  Why this only applies to gas models here in Ontario I still don't understand, I guess they are worried the gas line will break off when the range tips over after the customer stands on the oven door to reach the cupboard where they keep the whiskey they need after realizing how much they hate Sears.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if a cable strapping the stove to the wall or base board to protect the stove from tipping would protect me from law suits like the one sears just lost.  It would definitely work and be a lot easier to install than those brackets are when your working with a concrete slab.

[user=33386]Appliance Assistant[/user] wrote:

I'm wondering if a cable strapping the stove to the wall or base board to protect the stove from tipping would protect me from law suits like the one sears just lost. It would definitely work and be a lot easier to install than those brackets are when your working with a concrete slab.

I've seen just that type of setup on a slide-in gas range. A chain bolted to the 2x4 framing in the island and attached to the top corner of the range, (one of the chain links loop over a metal post on the back of range). You can slide the range out about 6"-8" then you have to remove the chain to slide out the rest of way to work on.

I believe in your neck of the woods Willie (California) there are some codes that state they have to be secured to the wall (gas products) because of the threat of earthquakes.  They didn't want units rolling out into the room and snapping gas lines). I use to advise techs via the phone on Pro Style units out there (DCS) on how to accomplish it.  First call I received on it I thought they were kidding.  Some Whirlpool units did come with a piece of picture wire across the back console that then hooked into a bracket mounted on the wall.  Was a little easier then messing with a anti tip bracket mounted to the floor.  

I don't normal do installs, so don't really know the codes applying to this.

The one I spoke of was the only one I've ever seen with a chain as an anti-tip device.

And in my 23 years of appliance repair here in California, I've probably only seen maybe less than a dozen ranges that even have the anti-tip bracket on the floor.

Archived