Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

GE Profile key pad only gives me 8's

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Bambina369_*

Lurker_Bambina369_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:15 AM

I have a GE profile range with a key pad issue. No matter what number I punch in, the only number that shows on the LED is 8. Sometimes if I hold the convection bake key while I'm punching in the numbers it will work, but if I'm not holding the convection key, the numbers only come up as 8. Nothing else works aside from convection bake. I can't even set the clock. Two other members in my family have GE profiles and have all had key pad issues. Is this a common thing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:07 PM

Seen a fair amount of keypad problems with GEs. What's the model number?

#3 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:12 PM

Some comments may apply to most applinances:
a) Induction motor is more robust than motor with "brushes and commutator". Brushes need replacement after several years of running. Speed control is easier when using motor with brushes.
B) Electrical timer controls give the least problem when compared with electronic controls. But electronic control is more precise and versatile.
c) Electrical switches give the least problem when compared with electronic "touch pads". Most "touch pads" use carbon film as electric contact and this carbon film is very thin and not lasting.
d) Electro-mechanical relays/switches could tolerate "overload" much better than electronic solid-state switches.
e) Without "overload", "heat" and "water", electronic would outlast electro-mechanical since there is not mechancial "wear and tear".

Your problem could be ©!:X

The Seven

#4 Lurker_Bambina369_*

Lurker_Bambina369_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

Model number JTP18W0W1WW

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:07 PM

Can't get that ezzzact model number to pull up but I know GE has a had a horrendous problem with bad touch panels on their ranges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics