I finally got around to changing my thermistors.
1. On the evaporator, tie wrapped to the coil.
2. One in the freezer, right side wall.
3. One in the fridge, Ceiling, back-center.
The evaporator thermistor requires the most work to get to, but it's the eas
s='searchlite'>asiest to work with. The one in the freezer and fridge don't have much wire
room to work with.
This job is a little time consuming, but it's fairly eas
s='searchlite'>asy. All you are doing is getting to the thermistors, cutting out the old and puting in the new.
Note: Thermistors are not polarized....so you can't hook them up backwards.
I strongly recomend soldering in your new thermistors.
I also recomend using heatshrink. Don't use black tape.
For each of my thermistors, I soldered each connection, then I covered the solder joints in RTV. Then I covered each connection with heatshrink. If you go the route of changing these thermistors, you must make a solid connection, and you must secure it. If you don't, then over time the connection will corroid and cause the main board to read incorrect values.
The connetctions for the freezer and fridge thermistor are tight because very little wire
length is given to you. I see in the GE technical pdf they use marrets for this service. All I can say is....... good luck. Those marrets better be tiny. Besides... I would never use marrets in a situation like this.
When soldering in the thermistors, make sure the fridge is not plugged in.
Most soldering iron tips are earth grounded!
I also recomend that you test your new thermistors before installing them.
You can do this by placing them in a large glas
s filled with as
much ice and water as
possible. This will ensure the closest temperature reference at 0oC/32F.
Let the thermistors sit in the ice water for a good 5-10minutes.
Ensure they are well seated amongst the ice and water.
ure the resistance of each thermistor while they are sitting in the ice water.
You should be reading in the range of 14K-15Kohm.
I'll come back and report the status of my fridge when it's been enough of a testing period.
I took a picture of an old and new thermistor to show the difference in body.
In an earlier post in this thread, Jeff indicated that the bullet or rounded end shaped thermistors were problematic. I had the bullet shaped thermistors, so I changed out for the new flat end style.
Here are the pics.... as
s='bbc_img' src='http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/Matilda-VW/IMG_4687a.jpg' alt='Posted Image' />as
s='bbc_img' src='http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/Matilda-VW/IMG_4693a.jpg' alt='Posted Image' />as
s='bbc_img' src='http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/Matilda-VW/IMG_4700a.jpg' alt='Posted Image' />as
s='bbc_img' src='http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/Matilda-VW/IMG_4707a.jpg' alt='Posted Image' />as
s='bbc_img' src='http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/Matilda-VW/IMG_4708.jpg' alt='Posted Image' />as
s='bbc_img' src='http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/Matilda-VW/IMG_4714.jpg' alt='Posted Image' />