Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Wierd voltage readings on a 240 volt plug

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

So technically the transformer layout I posted a few messages ago could be wired to produce either Electrician Dude's Delta connection, or two of my Wye connections, or up to 416V output with neutral in the center. Versatile, huh?

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 slawomir

slawomir

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:23 AM

[user=10234]Keinokuorma[/user] wrote:

So technically the transformer layout I posted a few messages ago could be wired to produce either Electrician Dude's Delta connection, or two of my Wye connections, or up to 416V output with neutral in the center. Versatile, huh?

What you've posted is a standard transformer with delta primary configuration and depending on secondary winding connectin it may be D/Y or D/D. Produced voltage depends on primary voltage and number of winding turns on primary and secondary side.

#43 gpedens

gpedens

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Grape Nehi

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

Budget did you ever get your question answered on this one.  Three phase  208 is 120 phase to ground.  It sounds like you have a high leg delta.  It should have a orange colored. Do a google on high leg or wild leg 240 phase connection.  It is also in the NEC code. 
Ifin you wannit dun rite do it yersef. The best way of doin sumpthin air as good as any.

#44 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:14 AM

Yes, it was discussed all in this here topic and was found to be exactly what you are saying.

Thanks,

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#45 gpedens

gpedens

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Grape Nehi

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Glad to hear it.  it was late and I was too lazy to read the whole thread.  I have seen some on this subject before and they tend to get quite long.   Mike Holt NEC code forums and news letters are an excelent source.   Delta systems can give funky terminal to ground voltages.  And connecting neutrals from different supplies can get you in deep shoo shoo.
Ifin you wannit dun rite do it yersef. The best way of doin sumpthin air as good as any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics