Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Washing machine LAT8016AAE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pilot

Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hello Sensei,  I'm back.  Was last here in Oct, 2007 with a shimmy problem on this great old washer.  The washer is performing fine now.  However, when adjusting the leg height this morning, I noticed more Orange (ish) grease/oil on the catch pan!  I noticed this in Oct last year but did not pursue it.  Me thinks now is the time to get this bug fixed before something breaks.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

Usually the fluids or lubes leaking on this unit that raises an alarm are dark brown almost black (tranny fluid).  Orangish grease like drips are usually just excess that has run or dropped down from a dab that is sometimes put on the motor glides, or springs and bolts of the suspension system.  The grease around the center seal in the mounting stem is orangish in color, but to have that in the pan, you would have water accompany it.  How much are we talking about and at what area's did you notice it?
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 Pilot

Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for your reply.  The orange grease/oil is almost directly in the center of the machine.  There is no evidence of any water leak at all.  Not sure if it means anything but the spot is oblong not circular, almost as if it is dripping as the machine is agitating not spinning if it happened while spinning, I would think it would be more widespread.?  Quantity is approx 2 tablespoons. 
Thanks for any input "Trying to help".

#4 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:49 AM

On the center of your trans pulley is a black rubber cap that has a little orangish grease in it from the factory.  Is this cap on?  Does it appear to be the same grease that is either in the rubber cap or smeared on around the Phillips screw or drive lug the cap covers?  If we are only talking about a little bit, I would not worry about it.  If you are not seeing water below, or oil forced up into your tub, it sounds like just lube that has dripped from the years.  If your lower trans seal was bad (lip seal), you would have black trans oil leaking down the center of the shaft.    
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 Pilot

Pilot

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:27 AM

4 Roga, Trying to Help.  Appreciate your thoughts.  Will check and report back.  :D:guzzle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics